Getting Rid Of Milkweed

By ohdawn 9 7

I need to get rid of Milkweed. I tried to cut it down but it grew back. As you see, I even tried to break it.

ohdawn from Richmond, VA

Showing: Answers Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

There are legitimate reasons to eradicate the milkweed. But perhaps other readers ought to know that milkweed is the only source of food for the Monarch butterfly, which is rapidly diminishing. Think of the plant not only as a weed but as part of the food chain.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sally 2 Flag

Here in central Montana, milkweed is becoming a real bane in our fields. Our neighbor has had good success in cutting the top off the plant and spraying with Roundup.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kim Churchman 3 1,277 Flag

I really like milkweed. I decided to declare it a plant a while back, not a weed. I am doing my backyard in natural meadow with paths through it, with unmown drought-tough grasses.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Beth 5 131 Flag

I've had luck pulling it up. You have to be consistent, because of you leave a bit of the root, it will re-sprout. Just keep pulling the shoots (they'll come back smaller and smaller each time) until it's gone. It might take a few months, but it'll be gone for good. Keep an eye out for seedings, because they're much easier to eradicate than the older plants. Oh, and be careful, some people are allergic to the milky sap (it can give you a rash). Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Neil McMillan 1 13 Flag

ANOTHER MONARCH LOVER HERE!

I've encouraged its growth and we ABSOLUTELY LOVE the scent of the flowers! I do pull SOME in places I REALLY DON'T WANT IT!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Melissa M. 26 106 Flag

Can someone send me some Milkweed seeds, I get Monarchs flying through but they don't stop because there's no milkweed, i would love to grow some. I keep Dill growing for the Black Swallowtails.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

March 17, 2011 Flag

How do I get rid of milkweed?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Melissa M. 26 106 Flag

Milkweed is the only plant that Monarch Caterpillars feed on. Getting rid of it is getting rid of Monarch Butterflies.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Gardening WeedsJuly 21, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 12:18:48 AM on 10.0.0.254 in 566 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings