Getting Rid Of Milkweed

I need to get rid of Milkweed. I tried to cut it down but it grew back. As you see, I even tried to break it.

ohdawn from Richmond, VA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

There are legitimate reasons to eradicate the milkweed. But perhaps other readers ought to know that milkweed is the only source of food for the Monarch butterfly, which is rapidly diminishing. Think of the plant not only as a weed but as part of the food chain.

Here in central Montana, milkweed is becoming a real bane in our fields. Our neighbor has had good success in cutting the top off the plant and spraying with Roundup.

I really like milkweed. I decided to declare it a plant a while back, not a weed. I am doing my backyard in natural meadow with paths through it, with unmown drought-tough grasses.

I've had luck pulling it up. You have to be consistent, because of you leave a bit of the root, it will re-sprout. Just keep pulling the shoots (they'll come back smaller and smaller each time) until it's gone. It might take a few months, but it'll be gone for good. Keep an eye out for seedings, because they're much easier to eradicate than the older plants. Oh, and be careful, some people are allergic to the milky sap (it can give you a rash). Good luck!

ANOTHER MONARCH LOVER HERE!

I've encouraged its growth and we ABSOLUTELY LOVE the scent of the flowers! I do pull SOME in places I REALLY DON'T WANT IT!

Can someone send me some Milkweed seeds, I get Monarchs flying through but they don't stop because there's no milkweed, i would love to grow some. I keep Dill growing for the Black Swallowtails.

How do I get rid of milkweed?

Milkweed is the only plant that Monarch Caterpillars feed on. Getting rid of it is getting rid of Monarch Butterflies.

Answer

Home and Garden Gardening WeedsJuly 21, 2008
Bethlehem with star on milkweed pod
Making Milkweed Christmas Ornaments
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 6:44:47 AM on 10.0.0.244 in 450 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.