Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

I have discovered dark patches on the wooden floor where my cat has previously peed and it has dried in. I am not too bothered about the stain it has made as it will be covered by a new rug. I will have to throw away the old rug which is shaggy pile and replace it, but I need to get rid of the smell. The floor is teak. Any ideas please?

By Lynn from UK

the best solution is 1tsp diswashing liquid 1 tbsp baking soda an d 16 ozs hydrogen peroxide mixed together. pour on area where urine is/ it will fizz, leave til next day or when dry. wipe down and voila your smell is gone. unfortunately the dark stain will remain. but odour gone. one hundred per cent

April 2, 2011 Flag

I need to remove ammonia smell from cat urine in heating vents and on wood floor.

By Janet from Dundee, IL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 6, 2010 Flag

How can you get cat urine out of wooden floors?

By petengina

Answers:

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

Here is a website that might be helpful to you.

Cat Urine Odor Removal. Home remedy methods to Clean Cat Urine Smell

This is the website:
catsofaustralia.com

I hope it is helpful for you! (08/16/2010)

By CaressaK

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

I have a cat with behavioral issues. I use Odoban which works well, but every once in a while I get a whiff of what might still be between the cracks in the wood. I just recently tried white vinegar and it really seems to work well. I used a spray bottle and sprayed on straight (not diluted) and made sure to soak the cracks. I let it sit there for about a minute and then patted the area dry with paper towels, pressing firmly on the cracks until no more moisture was absorbed into the towel. Vinegar is known for neutralizing odors and it's cheap! It didn't stain my floor, but you may want to try in an inconspicuous spot on your floor first. A friend of mine swears by Nature's Promise, but I haven't tried that yet. The September 2010 issue of Real Simple magazine has tips for getting cat pee out of carpets. They use vinegar too. (08/30/2010)

By Highlander

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 16, 2010 Flag

How can I remove the smell of cat urine from my hardwood floors?

By Southerngirl from LA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 16, 2010 Flag

My son bought a house that smells like cat pee. I have read many articles on the subject, however nothing I have read specifically answers this question. We have sanded the floors down to bare wood.

I was going to use bleach to see if I could get rid of the smell, but I am not sure if I can put the diluted bleach directly on the sanded floor. I am afraid that after all of the work we have done, the bleach will harm the floors. Any suggestions? Can we mop the bare wood floor with the bleach solution, and is bleach the best solution?

By Jan from Grosse Pointe Park, MI

Answers:

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

We bought a house that had floors ruined with human urine, long story. We sanded to the bare wood, mopped with bleach, let it air out and dry well then refinished the floor. That was 10 years ago and the floors look and smell nice. (06/02/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

I know there is a product called "Urine Clean" which should remove the odor. (06/05/2009)

By no-no-nancy

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

I have had opportunity to be "blessed" with pee smell problems on an ongoing basis. So, I've had opportunity to try a few things. There are a few products that neutralize the odor very well.

By Genifromalamp

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

P.S. Bleach is not the best solution. (06/05/2009)

By Genifromalamp

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

We also have had this problem. We had to purchase "wood" bleach and bleach the area. We also had to refinish the dining room floor (where the problem area was). After it was done and sealed we had no odor and the floor was beautiful. (06/06/2009)

By donnabob

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

I raise Boxer puppies, so I know the frustration with the smell of urine. The best thing that I have found is called OUT!. You can purchase this at Wal-mart in a small bottle for $8.50 and I have also found it at K-mart in a gallon jug for $12. Just spray it on the hard wood floors and let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then mop the floors as usual. It actually neutralizes the odor instead of covering it up.

My friend had the same problem with cat urine. I took over a bottle and she sprayed on the floors and 3 hours later the house was rid of all the smell.

I swear by this stuff. I keep a gallon on hand at all times. It actually smells really nice too so I also use it as refresher on the curtains, furniture, etc. (06/08/2009)

By boxergirl76

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

Bleach and cat urine mix is potentially deadly. Visit thatsmellincat.com for some good products that I use on my hardwood floor. (08/06/2009)

By nateg77

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

I have 4 boxes full of so-called urine clean up products, which failed. Only one worked. It's Anti Icky Poo and I got it from catfaeries.com. They have a yellow stain remover too.

Anti Icky Poo worked on my rugs, kitchen floors, and my hardwood floor entry way. (11/09/2009)

By MarieClaire

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My cat has ruined our hardwood floors. The smell is awful since we have been using the heater. I have tried so many products and nothing works. I have to be careful with certain products on the wood. I am very sad because I may have to give the cat away or put it on medication. Please help.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsApril 2, 2011
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Engineered Hardwood Floor
Repairing Water Damage on an Engineered Hardwood Floor
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
A dog laying on a hardwood floor.
Removing Pet Urine Stains from Hardwood Floors
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 8:05:24 PM on 10.0.0.154 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.