Should I Blanch Corn?

How important is it really, to blanch corn on the cob for a full six minutes, prior to freezing? Normally, when I cook corn on the cob for a meal, I only cook it for 2 minutes and let it stand for 10 minutes off the burner. The corn is crisp and tender at the end of the time.

I am afraid that blanching for six minutes will make the corn tough. Regular cooking for that long makes the corn tough indeed. So what about preparing for freezing those kernels. I want to shave off the kernels for whole kernel corn. Any advice? Thanks.

By Canner1 from Wallowa, OR

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Hi, Canner1. I learned this about 20 years when helping a friend set up for a party. I was asked to get ice out of the chest freezer in the garage, and there was also a pile of corn on the cob-still in the husks-also in the freezer. I asked about it and was told just put them in the freezer unhusked. To cook, pull them out a few hours ahead of time. Thaw enough to husk them (about an hour or so) and rub a towel over the ears to get the silk off, then pop them in boiling water for few minutes. I've been doing this ever since and the corn turns out great. I think the husks insulate the corn, so I don't know about cutting off the kernels and freezing them "raw", but whenever I blanch anything for freezing, I have the water boiling, then drop the veggies in and only cook 1 minute, drain and put in ice water to cool, drain again and then freeze. Works for my broccoli and cauliflower.

My frozen corn always turned out tough or mushy, then by accident I forgot to blanch part of a bunch I was vaccum packing. It turned out just fine. Since then I only wash it, dry it, and then freeze it.

To freeze corn off the cob, I use this recipe my mother-in-law gave me.

16 cups (1/2 a bushel) whole kernal corn

5 cups water

1/2 cup margarine or butter

8 teaspoons sugar (can be left out if the corn is sweet)

1 teaspoon salt

Combine corn, water, margarine, sugar and salt in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool by setting pan in a sinkful of cold water and stirring ocasionally. When cool, spoon into freezer containers or plastic freezer bags and freeze. This yields 4 quarts.

I use freezer bags and lay then flat to freeze so they stack nicely.

We have a friend who swears by this method: Soak ears of corn with husks on in cold water about 15 minutes. Allow the water to drain off, then wrap each cob tightly in plastic wrap or foil and put them inside bread bags. He says the corn tastes just like fresh-picked.

I have answered this question before. The answer is the same as before. Do nothing but check the tips for the possible worm. The very best corn can occasionally have one munching away. Just put the corn in a freezer bag, or vacuum seal bag, if you have it. With the freezer bag, pull as much air out as possible, seal bag, and freeze. When you get it out, put the ears directly in microwave, lay around on paper towels on turntable, if you have one. Microwave a few minutes, (you will soon get the feel for how long it takes for your microwave) turn the corn over, microwave a few more minutes, about 3-4 on each side for starters.

When corn is hot, pull an ear out, handle carefully, try to peel the husks back to feel and see if the corn is tender, and you will find that most of the silks will come off with the husks. This corn tastes fresh picked even a year later. We are finishing off the last couple bags from last year just now. This is the best way i have ever found in my 70 years.

This is what I do with my corn. cut of both ends.don't shuck. Put in a ziplock freezer bags. Take out what you want to eat.put in storage bag seal, poke a couple of small holes in bag (don't shuck corn) for one ear microwave for 3-5 min.not frozen.for frozen 5-10 for each corn.checking and turn bag over often.when ready shuck corn.

Answer

Will not blanching corn make you sick?

By dirtgirl_2007 from Edenton

Should I Blanch Corn?

No, I don't blanch anything and have never had a problem in 30+ years of canning. (07/01/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Should I Blanch Corn?

I put up a lot of corn each year and some of it is kept from year to year so I go by the book and blanch it. I have put some unshucked corn in the freezer and taken it out within a few months, shucked it and cooked it on the cob and it was delicious. (07/01/2009)

By Hate Litter

Should I Blanch Corn?

I've heard corn will last for awhile in the shuck, but I've always blanched it. There are a few things that freeze well without blanching, but I don't think corn is one of them. A friend told me she didn't blanch anything so I tried it. I had a lot of pretty purple freezer burnt carrots. (07/01/2009)

By dajavooi

Should I Blanch Corn?

We freeze corn with it's "clothes" on. We do not blanch, but do check for a possible worm at the tip. We do have a vacuum sealer, and bags, but in the past the whole ears were put in zipper freezer bags, and a bag or two have lasted until the next year's crop was ready to take their place. They taste as fresh as if just pulled. (07/01/2009)

By LJF

Should I Blanch Corn?

No blanching needed. We freeze on the cob and off the cob. If on the cob, silk and clean it, wrap in aluminum foil and put several ears in gallon freezer bag. Take out as needed. Wrap in damp paper towel and nuke for 3 minutes. Yummo. When off the cob put a little bit of water in the freezer bag. (07/02/2009)

By jules1963

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesAugust 22, 2009
Corn Fritter
Corn Fritter Recipes
making creamed corn
Creamed Corn Recipes
Growing Indian Corn
Growing Indian Corn
A stack of corn tortillas.
Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2016 at 5:32:13 PM on 10.0.0.6 in 913 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.