Have Food Backups in the Pantry

To make sure I always have a back up of certain items I try to buy two of them when I can and then put the extra into the pantry area and forget about it. When I can't spend too much on groceries for some reason. Like an unexpected car expense, a birthday or a bill that was forgotten I always have the extra items I can count on.

By RoseMary

Rosemary, that's a great idea, but I wanted to add this: watch for specials at your local stores. When an item you use (in the brand you prefer) goes on special, buy lots of it. If the store is out of the item ask for a rain check. Where I live most stores will give you one, and they honor the "special" price after they've been restocked.

An added bonus: you will have food available during weather emergencies, car trouble, illness, or during other times when it is difficult to get to the grocery store!

At the time of my husband and my retirement I made a grocery list and we only go to the grocery store once a month, I have figured out how many bags of sugar will use a month while all the pantry items that we use in a month and I stock up for the entire month so I don't have to return to the grocery store to buy a bag of sugar or something that would normally be in my pantry also frozen foods I try to keep packages of hamburger meat and sausage those types of things that can be divided into smaller portions just for 2 people.

I also go to the local Dollar Store I paper plates and aluminum foil and Saran Wrap and other items that are costly in grocery stores which saves me money.

As the year progresses, at the grocery stores have certain holiday items on sale such as chocolate chips cake mixes those types of items, I purchase them and put them in the freezer for holiday baking.

My pantry is always stocked with canned goods at which I can make soup or we can have vegetables and cornbread and being a pantry cook, I cook from scratch so my kitchen is always stocked with flavoring agents to put into canned goods or any recipe that I am using to enhance the flavor of the canned items.