Christmas Charities for Children

In most communities there are organizations that can help you give your kids what they need for the holidays. This guide is about Christmas charities for children.

Filter Sort

Question: Finding Christmas Help for a Teen

By tammy hughes 1

I need help with Christmas for my daughter who is 14. I have been everywhere and called places and can't find help because there is an age limit or it's too late to find sign up. It is not like I planed this to happen. Please does anyone know where I can find help?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Holly805 5 Flag

I think you can have a nice Christmas for her if you get creative. First, what can you make that would be meaningful? There are a ton of resources online for super cute, stylish presents you can make for under five dollars. Also don't be afraid to step in the thrift stores. When I went away for college this year, I didn't have a lot of money to buy new clothes so I visited my local Goodwill for the first time. Not as bad as you think. I found a couple like-new peices for very little money. They also had gently used household items, purses, and belts.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Children's Christmas Help Organizations

By Whisper0423 1

Does anyone know where I can find an organization to help me with my daughter's Christmas? Please no rude comments, I am in a bind and any information would be appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,354 Flag

Unfortunately, it is now too late for most Holiday programs as they have their program targets identified months ago. You can contact local churches and other local outlets for possible help.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Children's Christmas Charities

By Tereca21 1

I have five children that will not have a Christmas this year. We were homeless for three months and we just moved in about a month ago, but I have to pay bills and make sure they have food. I want them to, but I don't make enough to provide the things they want and need. Does anyone know of places that help with Christmas?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Nae76 1 Flag

Hi teresa im in the same situation this year ive asked as many people as i can if u google charities that help for xmas you will get a list of places that will help however most have taken there applications around october so we could have missed it already .

Thats why i also posted on here as well in the hopes to find that someone or someones to reach in their hearts as i often do .

I hope u have a christmas with your children and i will address this in my prayers god bless.

Salvation army are the best i find

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By mspamelawhite 1

I am a victim of domestic violence who has two wonderful girls. I left an abusive relationship about a month ago with the clothes on our backs. I am desperately seeking help for Christmas for my girls. If someone has any information regarding some assistance please advise.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Children's Christmas Charity

By renaek 1

I have 2 children 2 and 3yrs old. My husband recently got laid off from work, so we have been struggling to make ends meet. I really need help getting my babies something for Christmas. If anyone could let me know where to go. I have tried all the local places that usually help and it's too late for me to sign up. Thanks very much in advance.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Charities

By KEISHA 1

I need help with Christmas. I have 3 kids and no job and no money. Can anyone please tell me where I can find help? God bless you.

By Keisha from Rome

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

thr522587 Flag

Your local Catholic Family Services! If you mean Rome, Italy check out this link for referrals for help: http://www.catholiccharitiescamden. ... lected-on-behalf-of-caritas-italiana

I became disabled the April before last and called them to see if there were any volunteers in my area to help me clean my apartment. Not only have I a wonderful volunteer that comes and helps me clean since then, but also last Christmas I received a phone call from another volunteer asking what I could use and really wanted for Christmas. I told them a pair of slippers and a new toy for my Rachel kitty. They showed up about three days before Christmas with three boxes of food, the slippers, a winter hat, a fleece throw blanket, a handmade shawl, extra toys and treats and food for Rachel and more! I was weeping like a baby! They are a wonderful organization and the volunteer who helps me clean is now also a friend!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Charities

I'm out of work. I was let go after 9 years of work. I am looking for help for my kids for Christmas. Any suggestions?

By Crystal

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Linda from Bloomington, IL 76 172 Flag

Call 211, that is a nationwide help number. Whoever answers will get you in the right direction for help.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Charities

I am searching for children's X-mas giveaways for a single, pregnant mom with two children. She has extensive medical issues and is not able to work and lives with her mom who lives in Section 8 housing. The household is really struggling, I don't want the children to go without X-mas. The father is incarcerated.

By Diana

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Vicki 24 428 Flag

Toys for Tots. Salvation Army. Local churches. Most every town has some sort of Santa - toy giveaway program. Call the local newspaper and ask what it is called and how to contact them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Christmas Charities for Children

I need help with clothing for my daughter and Christmas. Please I'm a mother that's trying. Where can I look for help?

By Anthony

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie 32 893 Flag

The responders on Thrifty can only suggest places for you to go and/or people that may guide/help you with temporary assistance. It appears that you do need help in trying to make do with what you have, or receive, as many, many families are doing right now. No one here knows your location or your true situation so all we can do is mention places we know do give assistance to families in need.

I believe the first place anyone in need should start is their own church - and - if you do not attend then maybe now is a good time to start. A good church is not just about religion but should be there for any situation that arises in their family member's lives.

The Salvation Army has a good program but they should also have a list of local organizations that supply help to people/families who need temporary assistance or even long term help in some situations.

My church also has a "Helping Hands" program that distributes food and clothing to local families (not just church members) on a monthly basis. Of course, all of our food and "stuff" is donated by our members so we are very limited as to how much we can help. Maybe there is something like this in your area. Call around and ask.

Most of us are living on a tight budget but there are probably places in your area that offer free lunches, limited staple groceries and some basic clothing if your situation warrants it.

I know there are people who take advantage of "free" help but we should not judge the few and ignore the ones who truly need help.

I can still remember standing in line with my mother and brother (over 2 hours) so that I would have A toy or doll for Christmas. Of course this was in 1940 but still... This program was put on by people just like we have today so I still try to help when I can.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Clothing Help for Zimbabwe

How can I receive second hand clothes and shoes for all ages? I would like to share with our church members that are less privileged for this Xmas season. I would appreciate it if anyone can help in Zimbabwe.

By Amina from Harare

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

fb1266566252 Flag

You can ask United States churches. There are a lot of christian and baptist churches in TN that would probably love to help. One that comes to mind is "Hope Community Church in Surgoinsville, TN. Good luck and may God Bless you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Christmas Assistance

By Michelle Smith B. 1

On January 19,2014 my husband suffered an anoxic brain injury from a medical malpractice since then I have been out of work. My husband needs a 24 hour caregiver. We now live on a fix income of $664 and can barely stay above water with our bills. I have 3 children Destiny 15, Joshua 9, and Seth 6. Life has been very hard at times. I feel so overwhelmed, but I know and believe in God and that's what gets me through our tough times.

I just recently took in my girlfriend and her 3 children, as well, because of a homeless situation. So I'm writing you today to see if there was anyway you could assist me to where I could find help for Christmas? My heart is heavy because I'm not sure how much I can provide for my children this Christmas so if there is anyway you could give me information or know where I can go please advice. God bless you.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,354 Flag

You state that your husband was injured because of medical malpractice and suffered an injury resulting in total cerebral oxygen deprivation, or anoxia, on 1.19.2014. As a result of this terrible injury, you are now the provider of 24 hour care for your husband?

I am so very sorry for your very difficult situation. I do not mean to invade your privacy but ask to help:

Have you filed legal actions against the medical providers in your husband's injury?

As almost two years have passed since the injury, has there been any resolution?

I hope for the best for you and your family!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Help for Children

Please, let me know where and who to ask.

By C

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

Most of the charities that do Christmas help have a cut off date for applications of mid-November so that they can do their budgeting. They also have age limits. If you have a social worker with the Department of Social Services talk to that person, they might have some ideas. Also talk to your pastor, and that will have to be done today, as tomorrow is the last Sunday before Christmas. Sometimes they will take up a special, anonymous offering for a needy family in the congregation.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Help for Children

My house has been robbed and now I have no money for my kids' Christmas. Their father isn't around. Does anyone know who can help me? I don't know how to explain it to my girls on Christmas

By Shawnita from Washington, DC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

Do you have a court ordered child support order, if so their Dad should be paying regular child support, and if he isn't you could get him in trouble.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Help for Christmas

I am looking for help for my one child. He is five years old this year. I moved up here because my son's great grandma was every sick. She died this September 23rd.

We been jumping house to house since we have been here. I do not have a job. I have been looking but, not having the luck of getting one. My son's birthday was November 22nd, on Thanksgiving, but it was not so giving for him. So he did not get a birthday this year and I am hoping I do not have to tell him Santa is not coming too. I know it going to break his heart to tell him. So I am asking for places where I can get help this year. Thank you.

By sherryann

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

The charities that I am aware of have a cut off date for applications of right around Thanksgiving time. If you go to church speak to your pastor, sometimes they will take up a special anonymous offering for a member of the congregation. Aren't there any grandparents, aunts, and uncles that would be sending gifts? Also you could pick out one or two of his favorite toys and hide them, then after he is in bed, figure out some way to refurbish them.

My elderly aunt was recently telling me about when she was a child, her favorite doll disappeared, nobody in the family could tell her where it was. Her mother had hid it and while my aunt was at school and in bed, my grandma got busy and made a new wardrobe for the doll and also finished a cardboard box to look like a suitcase.

When the family got home from Christmas eve services, the doll was sitting on top of the piano with the suitcase and a little note saying she had just got back from a shopping trip in New York. My aunt is 86 and still remembers that as her most memorable Christmas.

You must have some cash, to be paying for going from house to house, you should be able to squeeze a little out to go to a thrift store and buy some little toy, sometimes a person can get some nearly new things really cheap. Also if you have a pretty towel in good condition make some kind of a stuffed animal out of it. I did that one year when we were really hard up. I took an old extra bed pillow apart to use the stuffing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Charities That Help for Christmas

By Earl Frye Jr. 1

I am a disabled single father with a low income of less then $405.00 a month, not leaving me with anything for Christmas for an 8 year old girl. Where can I get some help for Christmas? Thanks.

By Earl F.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By chey.pettit 1 3 Flag

I'm so sorry to hear that! :( Sir I know I may only be 15 I work in a lot of charities, and I know with the economy today its hard to buy a lot of things especially with that income.

Listen my advice for you is, a lot of the people I help out have put a certain budget away for their Christmas shopping, then they go out and find the best sales out there, they keep within whatever their budget is, and their kids are happy. You also got to teach your daughter that its not all about getting gifts. Christmas is about giving, sharing, etc. I hope you do well this Christmas. Merry Christmas!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Charities

I am a single mother of 2; where do I have to go to get help with Christmas presents for my children?

By Samantha

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By rachelgomez 1 Flag

My name is Rachel. I have a very special little girl name Stephanie. She is in first grade and is 6 years old. I dont get very much money. All I get is going to my rent so that we have a place to live. It's been hard for me prior to this we were homeless. Her father left me for another woman. If it's possible for any one out there to help me out for Christmas, I reqlly would be thankful. Thanks so much.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Charities

By Tina Reeves 2

I am a working mom that just lost my job. I need help with Christmas gift for my kids. Can some one please tell me where I can go to get some help? Thanks and may God bless you all.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Myrna 17 1,083 Flag

Call 2-1-1 or go online www.211.org/ and key in the city, state you're in or the zip and it will bring up nearest help aid where you reside. Browse through the categories (drop down menu) and find out if you can get any of these needs met to make life go easier for yourself and your family. Also, call your county police dept. which usually donates to children in the county and if they cannot help you, ask them if they might guide you to someone who can assist. Contact Salvation Army or Toys For Tots who might get you on their Christmas List.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Help for Children

My family and I are staying in a hotel. I have 3 kids. I don't get paid too much, not even enough to pay for the hotel weekly. Does anyone now where I csn get help for Chistmas?

By Jenny

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

Most of the charities that do Christmas help have a cut off date of around Thanksgiving for taking applications. They also have a cut off of 12 years for age. IF you don't have enough to pay your weekly rent at the motel, exactly who is paying it? You might be better off in a homeless shelter because people always make sure the kids in those places get something. IF you have a pastor talk to him, he might be able to help a little bit. Although it is too late to take up a special offering in church, like they sometimes do for a needy member of the congregation.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Help

I have 4 children (2 girls and 2 boys) and I have no job or any help. Where can I get Christmas help for my kids ages 14, 9, 10, 8?

By sj

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

It's a little late to be asking for Christmas help. Most of the charities that do this have a cut off date around Thanksgiving for taking applications. This is so they can do their budgeting. Most of them also have an age limit of 12 years. IF you have a pastor, talk to him, sometimes they will take up a special offering for needy members of the congregation.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Charities for Children

By Edie Jones 1

I just lost my job two weeks before Christmas. I don't know how I'm going to pay my rent. I've been crying. I am so depressed I can't get her my 10 year old nothing. I've prayed to God and this is where he guided me when I asked him for answers.

By Edie jones from chicago Il

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By callahanie 1 Flag

Hello, I'm in the same boat, but my son is 15. I cried all morning, wanted to give up, then I told myself, as I will tell u. We are mothers; our children look up and depend on us. No matter how I feel, I must muster up the courage to move forward. As I go thru my day, still haven't gotten dressed. I'm realizing this will work out. I know that something bigger is going on.

I have thought of church going. Calling places to give your time and help to others, take the focus off us. Visiting the old folks home. Also cooking and crafting with my son. I'm limited, so I must become creative. Gathering pine cones, leaves, and twigs. I have old branches that I will soak in water then make a circle. It's great fun great. They look like Jesus' crown.

I will take these gifts and hand them out to the elderly. As my day unfolds I think this is the best Xmas my child will had /have. As a mother, what better gift could I give him? Hope this helps you. You are not alone.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Charities

I need help with making a good Christmas for 2 beautiful blue eyed girls:) I'm late for a lot of places that help and I'm praying I can still find someone who can help me get gifts for my amazing family in our time of need. Any suggestions?

By Kristin

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

All families are amazing and a lot of them need help. You should start looking for help a lot earlier. There is usually stories on the news from the different charities that help with things like this, starting probably in October. That being said we all know Christmas comes at the same time every year. There isn't a reason in the world that people can't plan ahead and buy one gift a month. As far as that goes all any kid needs is one gift from their parents. Don't your kids have grandparents, aunts, and uncles that will be giving them gifts? Talk to your pastor, sometimes they will take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation. But even for that, it is getting a little late. You could give each one of your kids a color book and small box of crayons and they can even be the cheap brands of crayons. Go to a dollar store and get each one of them one item and I bet they will be happy. Walmart has cute little kids t-shirts for about $5.00. Kids don't need designer things or even the expensive toys and electonics.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Organizations The Help with Gifts for Grandchildren

By Debi Johnson V. 1

I am a grandparent with very little income. I have 2 grandkids, boys 4 and 7. is there any place that helps grandparents get gifts? It breaks my heart not to be able to get them anything.

By Debi

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

Are you raising these kids or just a grandparent that wants to get them something. I have never heard of organizations that help non-custodial grandparents with gifts for grandkids. I am 74 and on a fixed income, retirement SS, less than $700.0 a month, and I buy gifts for 10 people with a limit of $20.00 each and if I find something that somebody will like that is on sale, it is still counted as a $20.00 item. I start shopping in January and have been done for about six months. There is no reason why people can't start shopping early in the year. You can get some nice stuff in the dollar stores and even in thrift stores. Kids don't need designer things, or the expensive toys and electronics.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Help for Children

I have three kids. I just moved here from Florida and am staying with my mother. I don't have any income at all. I lost everything in Florida. Christmas is here and my babies don't have anything for Christmas, not even a Christmas dinner. I just want to know if there is any place I can still get help for my kids. My son is 7 and my two daughters are 12 an 16.

By l Williams

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Shayla Miller 1 Flag

Hi I want to know if you guys was still doing the Christmas sign up? If so I have a 15 month girl that's in need of clothes, shoes, socks and toys. In clothes she wears 18 month in shoes a 5c

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Christmas Help

I am a forty one year old woman with two kids, a boy who is 15 and a daughter who's 9. I am having a very hard time getting them something for Christmas. I try to find work, but no one wants to hire a person with health problems and I have a herniated, slipped disk to the right and a pinched nerve down my right side. All I want is to see my kids smile once for Christmas. I really would like it if I can get any help with them because I have nothing to give them for Christmas. Does anybody know where I can get help?

By Dianne from Chicago, IL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By MaiyaSF 3 Flag

Hi Dianne. Sorry this is coming to you after Christmas but I thought to respond anyway as maybe you could do this for next year. A few years ago, I found myself in a similar position and had no idea how to provide for Christmas.

A friend told me about Swagbucks, which is an online survey/games/product website. It's free to join and you never have to give up any credit card info or pay anything to use the site. The more surveys/activities/games you complete the more points you get, which you can trade in for gift cards at places like Amazon, Target and Walmart.

I thought it was a scam until I read about it again on the Diaperswappers community boards. A lot of moms do the surveys in their spare time to get gift cards for birthdays and holidays.

I finally joined and have been doing it for several years. My husband and I are now both working but I still do the surveys. This year we had almost $400 in gift cards and we didn't spend any of our own money for Christmas gifts. There are some people who are even in the $1000+ range with gift cards. Check it out, see if it's for you. Maybe if you start now you could have plenty for Christmas next year. Good luck with everything.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Help for Children

I am a mother of three beautiful, wonderful children two boys ages 14 and 9 and a little girl age 11. Three children which I would do anything for so I'm hoping someone can understand the worry and hurt I'm going through. I lost my job last month over a lie which I'm currently trying to go through appeals process. I thought it would be finished and I would have won the appeal by now, but it hasn't. Leaving me scared and worried, wanting to know what to do. There are only 6 days left until Christmas and my question is how can I get help for Christmas gifts? The oldest boy needs winter clothes and both boys shoes are falling apart. Please I've never been in this position, what should I do? Where can I get help?

By Haley from Kingsland, GA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

The charities that provide Christmas help have a cut off date of mid-November for taking applications. This is done for budgeting purposes. Most of them also have age cut off limits of 12-13 years, this is because older kids are expected to understand the situation.

As far as clothes/shoes for the kids go, go to your the office of your local Salvation Army(there might not be one right in your town, but in the nearest large town) and ask for a voucher for clothes for the kids, and then take it to their thrift store, and you will get to pick the number of free outfits specified for each kid. But be specific about the number of kids that need clothes.

If you have a social worker through the Department of Social Services Office (food stamps, etc.), that person might know of some help for you.

Also speak to your pastor, sometimes they will take up a special anonymous offering for a needy member of the congregation. Do this right away, because this coming Sunday is the last Sunday before Christmas. Also mention your problems to a really good friend and to your parents and siblings.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lauren E. 1

How can I go about getting help for my friend? She has not been able to buy Christmas for her three children yet. She's 23, has three kids (6, 3, and 1). Her fiancé has lost his job, her kids' father does not help her at all (he's an ex so I know he doesn't). She was working two jobs to provide Christmas for them, but one job let her go and the other job is third shift and she works as much as she can, sleeps about 30 minutes then gets up to get her oldest to school. I just really want to help her. She shouldn't have to struggle on this holiday.

By Lauren E.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By angelacawein 4 5 Flag

With Christmas only being 11 days away, not sure if there are any charities that can help. Human services, toys for tots, salvation army are a few places and some local church's. Since she has a school aged child, the school she attends can help sometimes. Then again you usually have to put the childs name on a list a few months ahead of time and it is on a first come, first serve basics. I hope you can find some where to get gifts for her children. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: In Need of Christmas Help

By Amy Motivated S. 1

I am a single mother of three, ages 3 months (girl), 6 years (girl) and a 7 year (boy). I just lost my job and am in need of Christmas help. Does anyone know where I can get help? Thanks in advance.

By Amy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

Most of the well known charities that are nation wide have cut off dates for applications of mid-November, this is for budgeting purposes. Talk to your social worker, with the Department of Social Services (I am assuming you have one). Also don't your kids have grandparents and aunts and uncles that give them gifts? Speak to you pastor, sometimes they will take up anonymous offerings to help a needy member of the congregation. The baby won't know if she gets anything or not. The other kids are young enough that they will be satisfied with a coloring book and a box of crayons, these can be wrapped separately and make two gifts for each one.

There were times when my girls were little they would get a new dress for the Sunday School program and after they went to bed at night the dress would get wrapped and put under the tree - that was their present.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Help

By Cindy Mercer 1

I am a 34 year old single mom of 2 daughters ages 11 and 9 and a son that is 3. I am an online student for Medical Assisting and I do not work because I live with and care for my 53 year old disabled mom. My mother lives and pays her rent from her small Social Security check. I am very much struggling to help my kids have a decent Christmas. My mother is terminal and has lymphedema and cellulitus of the legs.

I was wondering if you knew of anyone sponsoring a family for Christmas or where I could get some Christmas help? Anything would be appreciated, thanks and God bless.

By Cindy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Myrna 17 1,083 Flag

Have you tried The Salvation Army or any of the stores that decorate their displays with Christmas Angels (people's names on an angel hanging from tree)? Any church that has food drives at Christmas time and may be able to pass out a toy to a child. Time to call and contact places to see what can be done before it's too late.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Charities

I have a 17 year old daughter who was placed in my emergency custody this last July after her father abused her. I moved and relocated and have given her a home and parent (myself), and have found a part time job. But, I have absolutely no money for Christmas this year. Are there any charities that can help me with a gift for her Christmas? Any help I receive will be greatly appreciated.

By Jennifer D.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

The charities that I know of have a cut off date of just before Thanksgiving, and also a cut off age of 12 years. If you attend a church fairly often, speak to your pastor. A lot of times a pastor will take a special, anonymous offering for a needy member of the congregation. She wouldn't need to have an expensive gift, thrift stores have a good selection of gently used and sometimes new items with the tags still on them, for a reasonable price. WalMart has decent t-shirts and CDs for no more than $10.00. She doesn't need designer items and she doesn't need high end electronics. Also does she have grandparents and aunts and uncles that will be sending her gifts. Another thought is that some dollar stores have a fair selection of make up, body wash and body lotion. You should be able to squeeze a little out of your budget.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Charities for Children's Gifts

I need help getting my children Christmas presents.

By Misti

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

I have a hunch you are quite late to apply. Most of the charities have a cut off date of around Thanksgiving time. However, no kid needs to get more than one gift. You should be able to find some things at some of the dollar stores. Thrift stores also have lots of gently used items and some of them are even completely new.

Kids also don't need designer labels or electronic things. For small kids you can even get by with a color book and crayons, there again the crayons don't have to be a major brand. At discount stores you can get decent t-shirts for all ages for less than $10.00 each.

Another idea for other years is to start shopping right after Christmas. Set a price limit and don't go over it, if you find an item that will work for a sale price, get it and count it at the price limit. I buy one item a month and have been done with my shopping for at least four months. Everything is wrapped and under the tree, with a couple packages ready to be shipped.

I live off $700 a month retirement social security and spend $40.00 a month on each of my two daughters and $20.00 each on my four grandchildren. Then I also buy for my two sisters, and an elderly aunt and a cousin. If I find a $40.00 item on sale for $30.00 I get it and it is counted at $40.00.

Also don't your kids get gifts from grandparents, aunts and uncles. There must be some relatives that will be sending gifts. Another thought would be to speak with your pastor, if you attend church on a fairly regular basis, sometimes a pastor will take up a special, confidential offering for a needy family in the congregation.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Charities

This year seems to be my hardest. I have no job and am going to school full time. I live with my 9 month old grandbaby and my 8 year old son. I have no money, every little bit I do get has to go towards keeping house and home. We have what we have. We have love in our hearts because we are family, but help for Christmas would be appreciated. I hope old St. Nick is out with an open ear and heart to want to stop by our house, because God knows we have struggled this year and still managed to make it to this Christmas. Does anyone know where I can get Christmas help?

By M.King

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Joan B. 2 386 Flag

I know a lot of single parents that have went to school full time and worked at least part time and some that also worked full time. It's getting a little late to be asking charities for help, they do have deadlines so that they know how to budget for everybody needing help. When you do go to them most of them want an application filled out and they also want to know your gross income.

I assume you get food stamps, so food shouldn't be a problem. Don't worry about if the baby gets anything or not, kids that young don't know if they get anything.

As far as your son goes, you could hide a couple of his favorite toys and refurbish them(with paint or whatever) for Christmas. Shop at a dollar store and buy a coloring book and box of crayons, they can be wrapped as two separate gifts. Call the Salvation Army and see if you can still apply for help.

Also speak to your pastor, sometimes a church will take up a special "love" offering for a needy member of the congregation. There were times over the years that I would have had to seek help for Christmas, if I hadn't planned ahead and started shopping in January. No kid needs more than one gift from their parents. Also doesn't your son have grandparents, aunts, and uncles that send gifts?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Charities

By Jessica C. 1

I am a single mother of six wonderful children. They are 11, 7, 3, 1, and twins that are 4 months old. I was enrolled in school, but I had to take off because I was put on bed rest for two weeks. Then I went into premature labour two months early so my twins had to stay in the hospital for awhile. Then I just had a full hysterectomy on November due to having cancer.

I don't really have any help with Christmas for my children. I'm literately heart broken I don't know what to do. Please if anyone knows of some help please let me know. Thank you and God bless!

By Jessica C

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By jojo01 1 Flag

I would post this on Reddit. I know the community there is awesome. You may also want to talk to the social worker, school psychologist, or school counselor at your children's school. These people are typically familiar with local community resources that can assist with families in need.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Charities

My name is Sharon and I am contacting you in hopes that you knew of anyone who is looking to adopt a family in need for Christmas this year or if you knew of any organizations that are. I have contacted 211 and they have nothing and 2 of my children are too old to receive gifts from Toys for Tots. I would really like for them to have a nice Christmas, if possible.

I am a single mother of 4 children and I can't afford to do anything for them. I am barely keeping my bills current. It would be a blessing if there was anything you could do to help me. I would be very grateful for any helpful ideas. Thank you for taking the time to read and God Bless you!
                Most places have stopped offering to help families already!
                By Sharon S

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Joan B. 2 386 Flag

A lot of the charities have a cut off age limit of 12 years. Speak to the pastor of your church, sometimes a church will take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation. You are right about most places having passed the deadline for applications. When you apply, you also have to tell your income. Are you more hard up this year than last year? No kid needs more than one gift each from a parent. I assume their Dad sends gifts, as do grandparents, aunts and uncles.

There have been lots of times in the past that I would have had to ask for help, if I didn't start shopping in January. One gift a month or every two months won't bankrupt a person providing you don't purchase things advertised on TV or with designer labels. My kids have never received anything advertised on TV or with a designer label. Now that I am buying gifts for my adult kids and adult grandkids I follow the same practice. $20.00 each and that is it. If I find a $20.00 item on sale for $10-15.00, it is still counted as a $20.00 item.

My 84 year old aunt was telling me a couple weeks ago that when she was 10 years old her favorite doll got lost, her parents and older sisters didn't know where it was. Then on Christmas morning when she walked into the living room the doll was sitting on top of the piano with a complete new wardrobe, that my aunt's mother sewed during the time my aunt was in school. You could do that with some of the things your kids have, hide one or two of each of their belongings to refurbish it, in whatever way it needs.

Also kids can always use a t-shirt, and the discount store that I use the most, has adult size ones for between $5-10.00 each. Of course, it is getting late to start shopping too. If the kids are quite young, pre-school/primary grades a color book and crayons can be wrapped as two gifts. You can try the Salvation Army, but I don't know what their deadline is. There is also a an organziation called Volunteers of America in some areas, but there again the deadline is past, because they have names with ages of various kids on trees at my WalMart. From what

I understand the Volunteers of America are working with the Department of Social Services to get the information for needy families in the area. You could also talk to your social worker for food stamps or whatever, they might know of some place you could get some help. But the best bet in the future is to plan ahead.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Charities

I'm a single mother, my unemployment ran out and I can't find a job. I would like to know if there are any charities or organizations that could please help me provide a Christmas for my children, including food and gifts.

By JH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Joan B. 2 386 Flag

If you are unemployed you should be on food stamps so you shouldn't have to worry about food. There were times when I was kid that we had meat loaf, baked potatoes, and a veggie for Christmas dinner, because that is what we could afford.

There were times when my kids were small and there was just our family of four that I served a turkey roast because it was more appropriate for the size of our family and cheaper than a full turkey.

Being you are a single mother, you should be receiving child support, and if you have no cash income at all there are more important things you should be worried about other than Christmas. The thing to do when you are low income, is to plan ahead.

I start my shopping in January, for my adult kids and four grandkids that range in age from 15-25. I spend $20.00 on each of them. None of them got any of the expensive toys that are advertised on TV and none of them have ever received anything with a designer name on it.

All any kid needs is one gift each, from their parents. Your kids must have grandparents and aunts and uncles must give them gifts. Also I would assume their Dad gives them gifts. My jerk of an "ex" who is also Mr. Tightwad, gives our adult kids money for their birthdays and Christmas.

As far as jobs go the fast food places are always hiring, all an applicant has to do is be willing to work there. When I was 67 I worked for two years in a fast food place, and I had never done that before in my life. It wasn't easy because of some of my health problems, but I enjoyed meeting different people.

For help there is HELPLINE!, a national clearing house for organizations in different areas that provide different types of help. Also you can call the Salvation Army they are good about helping people.

However, you should also speak to the pastor of your church, sometimes they will take up a special offering for a needy family in their church. Where I live most of the places that provide Christmas help have passed their deadlines for taking applications. They also want to know your gross income. A lot of them also have an age limit of 12 years for gifts.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Charities

I need help for Christmas. I don't have money for a tree or gifts for my for children.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Christmas Help

By 3hearts526 1

I am too late for the Angel Tree. I need help getting gifts for my three girls this year. I have tried a lot of charities and keep hitting walls. I have put in a layaway, but I am afraid I will not be able to get it out. I am wondering if anybody knows any charities or organizations that can help me with gifts?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Load More

Archive: Christmas Charities

Does anyone know of any charities that offer help around Christmas time?

Gail

Feedback:

RE: Christmas Charities

The Salvation Army or some churches in your area might be able to help you. (10/17/2005)

By guest post

RE: Christmas Charities

Log onto Samaritans Purse, it's one of the charities with Billy Graham as its founder. Its really a wonderful group and they do Christmas shoeboxes! (10/17/2005)

By Linda

RE: Christmas Charities

Here's a link to Samaritans purse; samaritanspurse.uk.com. It's a really great organization. Our family plans to do a shoebox or two this year. (10/17/2005)

By may-fairy

RE: Christmas Charities

Modestneeds.org helps those who are making an effort to help themselves. "A hand up not a hand out" type of charity. (10/18/2005)

By Caima

RE: Christmas Charities

Check with your local VFW post, but you need to call them early to get on the list. They will usually help with food, toys, and clothing. Give them a call. If they don't do that they might be able to tell you who does. (10/19/2005)

By Troy

RE: Christmas Charities

These are some of the places I tell people I work with to look for help in your hometowns. I am a social worker. Here goes: first churches (even if you don't belong to the church many have programs to help), Toys for Tots, Salvation Army, and your local county or state Social Service Office. Also don't be afraid to tell your friends or the grandparents that you need help! We all assume that the people around us can read our minds. They can't. God bless! (11/24/2005)

By JustSusan

RE: Christmas Charities

Try the Lions clubs, Rotary clubs, etc. Just get busy and start calling. The sooner the better! (11/24/2005)

By JustSusan

RE: Christmas Charities

All summer long go to garage sales and start buying affordable items that you can clean up to make look like new and stash them in the closet. Take two dollars a week and go to the dollar store and buy small items for your family and stash them into the "gift" closet. Learn a craft like knitting or crocheting (the library has books or ask around for someone to teach you) and buy yarn on sale and make scarfs for your family. Go to freecycle.org and sign up to get free items for your family, you can even ask for items like a used Christmas tree. Learn to do more with your children at the holidays to make it special; string popcorn (very cheap), rent a library book with holiday songs and learn a few to go out caroling around the neighborhood, buy baking supplies when they are on sale and then bake cookies that your kids can decorate.

In the fall, at the "back to school" sales, buy construction paper then at Christmas make the old-fashioned paper chains to hang around the tree or around doorways, buy some felt (very cheap) and make stockings or ornaments. Use the internet as a tool to search out craft sites for patterns for ornaments and stockings. There are many websites that offer free printables that you can print off that your kids can color, or you could print off favorite recipes on cute cards, put them in a bundle and tie with a pretty ribbon and give those as your gifts to friends.

You have to realize that we are not the first generation that has ever known financial difficulties, your children will not be the only children that haven't had that wonderfully fake "Norman Rockwell" kind of Christmas. You have very little to work with.

You have to do the best you can with what you have; and what you have may not be money, but your own creative spirit.

You need to also get on the telephone and start calling around in your own city and look for help from the city offices (Mayor), Lions clubs, Kiwanis associations. Call stores that are collecting for "Toys for Tots" and ask how to sign up. Call local St. Vincent DePaul or Goodwill organizations and ask if they have a donation program for your family or a shopping day that low-income families can go in and "buy" things for a discounted price. Call your local churches, call your local schools, call your local banks; many have "giving tree" or "mitten tree" programs for the less fortunate. We don't have anything, but each other, and I think that is all that matters during the holiday season. (12/02/2006)

By Samantha

Archive: Christmas Charities

I am a single mom with 4 kids and I am in need of some help. Where can I find help? I've emailed churches and police stations and they can't help me. Any suggestions?

Christmas Charities for Children
                  Holidays and Parties Christmas CharitiesDecember 11, 2012
                  ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
                  Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
                  Michigan Christmas Charities
                  Oregon Christmas Charities
                  New Jersey Christmas Charities
                  Washington Christmas Charities
                  © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 7:30:42 AM on 10.0.1.164 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsArchives
                  NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
                  Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
                  BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
                  CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings