Freezing Apples for Smoothies

There are a great deal on apples right now at the grocery store. I like to put apples in my smoothies. What is the best way to freeze applies to be used in smoothies?

Glenn

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

I freeze apples for pies and other desserts, but I put them in salted water for a short time, drain and then freeze in plastic bags. This keeps them from turning brown. You can buy axcorbic acid to prevent them from browning too. Use according to directions.

Best Answer

Lemon juice has ascorbic acid and is recommended everywhere for keeping apples from turning brown. But it will add a lemony flavor!

Do you not need to add anything to keep the apples from browning?

This time of year when apples are plentiful and in season, buy a box. Then cut them up and mix with your favorite apple pie recipe. Put all together in ZipLock bag and freeze. When you want a pie just dump the bag into a pie shell and bake!

- Michelle

Last Thanksgiving I made an apple pie and had way too many apples. So I put them in a freezer bag and tossed em in the freezer. I added nothing. They turned a lil brown but nothing to be concerned about. Then in January I used them to make a pie. I didn't know what to do cause they were frozen. So I nuked them just a lil to help them come apart added my spices, butter, a lil flour and put them in my pie shell. It turned out really good. yum yum. I think next time I freeze some apples I'll go ahead and add the spices, when I freeze them.

Answer

A pile of apple slices.
Freezing Apples
Food and Recipes FreezingMay 8, 2005
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
Storing Pineapples, Canning Pineapples. Sliced fresh mini pineapple.
Freezing Pineapple
Frozen peach slices.
Freezing Peaches
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 14, 2016 at 7:12:25 AM on 10.0.2.91 in 616 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.