Plant Light for Growing Herbs Indoors

I can't remember the name of it, but there is a fairly new plant light that sells for about $120 that you use to grow your herbs and whatever in the house. Has anyone tried it, and is it really worth that much money? Thank you.

By {amsfriskd from Wichita, KS

I don't think you need the $120 light....just buy a cheap flourescent shop light at Lowes or Home Depot. set your herbs on a table, and hang the light so that it is only a few inches above your plants. As they grow, you can raise the light. This set up will take a little time and ingenuity to put together, but it will save you about $100.

Harlean from Arkansas

I have been gardening with lights for about 30 years. I used to use a flourescent light bulb (long tube) suspended from the ceiling on chains. You could lengthen or shorten the chains to fit. Now I am using a lamp with a flourescent bulb in it for my few houseplants. I found the lights worked beautifully for african violets, but they are great for everything, including starting seeds.

I think you might be wondering about the Aero Garden, for which there's an ad popping up on this page even as I type :)

I read a number of consumer reviews of this product and was scared off by the fact that people said the pump which runs water all the time is very noisy. I think there were some other issues as well. I'd go with a thriftier option like the suggestions above.

I would probably choose a flourescent bulb specially designed for plants. I don't think they cost any more than a regular bulb.

For $120 it had better chop, cook and do the dishes after cooking! I spent $5 on a plant light bulb and put it in a lamp that points downward. It works great and is $115 cheaper than the one you're talking about!

Indoor herb garden.
Growing Herbs Indoors
Consumer Advice Product Reviews Lawn & GardenMay 4, 2009
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
Drying and Storing Herbs
Drying Herbs
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
Herbs
Freezing Herbs
🎄
🍂