Making Extra Baking Mixes

When I'm making pancakes, cornbread, cakes, cookies, etc., I take a gallon size zip lock bag and make an extra batch, putting all of the dry ingredients in the bag. On the outside, I write the name of the recipe along with the liquid ingredients and baking or cooking instructions, with a black permanent marker. This way, I always have a bag ready to go for those times when I'm in a hurry. The bags are reusable, so I just refill them when I have time. I keep them in my pantry, clipped together at the top with a large chip clip, so they are easy to flip through when I need one.

By Teresa from Louisville, KY

my husband has 29 brothers and sisters and we are both disabled and holidays are very costly so we have had to go to making gifts. we give about 180 gifts just for christmas so we just can't keep putting out money we do not have. we get 900 a month and rent is 450 so you can do the math. anyway i need ideas for gifts i need quick bread, bars muffins, scones, cookies and jams and jelly anything to make nice gifts to give. it is hard because his family has no money problems so everything i do is not good enough for them but if they get nasty i told them i will stop making things for them and they can go without. anything my husband and i only believe in one great spirit not their way so the holiday does not mean much to us anyway but i know it is a lot to them. so i will do the gift thing for them not us! i need recipes that are not in every cookbook i need ones that are not that common i have over 200 cookbooks so that is why i am asking for new and odd ones. we are getting pretty tins baskets and bottles to give them in too. i also know how to can so neat jam and perserves are great to. i am also a coupon freek. i went into miejers here in MI and i saved 94 dollars and only spent 78 and i got 30 more back on rebates and goods so i was taught by my aunt that was a depression person and when i turned 16 she was going to teach me to make rugs and cloths but she died two months before i was to start my lessons!

Editor's Note: Darcey, there are lots of thrifty gift ideas and baking mixes on the site. 150 gifts would be hard for anyone let alone someone on a fixed income. It's nice of you to try but if they are not appreciated, why bother. I've had members of my family just say, please don't buy us gifts, we will not be buying them for anyone this year. Some may get them for you anyway but at least you have made it clear to them.

This is a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing!

Mixing a baking mix.
Making Your Own Baking Mixes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Time SaversMay 23, 2006
Improving Boxed Brownie Mixes
Baking Ingredients
Substitution for Cream of Tartar When Baking
Jiffy Spiffy Brownies
Recipes Using Jiffy Mixes