Wasabi Nuts

contest winner icon

I thank Pookarina/Julia for this one! She knows how much I love hot and spicy, so a few weeks ago she sent me a link for an international internet store that sells just about every kind of hot and spicy sauce and other hot and spicy items from around the world you can imagine.

While perusing the site I came upon an item called Wasabi Bombs which are wasabi coated peanuts. Intriguing, but I certainly can't afford the price of the bombs plus shipping. Yearning became the mother of invention ;-)

I searched the web for Wasabi nut recipe ideas and combined a few recipes.

Here's the combination I came up with and like the best. So far I've used it for peanuts and almonds and the next ones that I want to try are cashews, macadamia, pine nuts, and pistachios. I use wasabi powder in this recipe, because it stays fresher longer in the original container than wasabi paste does.

• 1 lb. shelled whole salted nuts
  • 3 Tbsp. wasabi powder (if you use wasabi paste do not use the 1 Tbsp. of water)
  • 1 Tbsp. water
  • 2 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1 egg white

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a roasting pan with foil, lightly greased.

Stir the wasabi powder and water together to make a paste in a large bowl, add cornstarch and stir just until blended.

Whisk in egg white until foamy, add nuts and toss well to coat. Spread nuts in a single layer in roasting pan and bake, gently turning two or three times, for 30 to 40 minutes or until nuts are roasted and dry.

Allow to cool before serving. The nuts will stay fresh in an airtight container for about a week.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Deeli, where do you buy the wasabi powder?

I've seen wasabi powder in the Asian section of the supermarket, with the soy sauce and other condiments. It comes in a little can. Any larger store should have it.

My SOL absolutely loves wasabi, and his birthday is next month. This will go great with the beer BBQ sauce I got him! Thanks!

Awesome! I was craving wasabi nuts yesterday. I think I just might make these instead of buying some. :) Thanks Deeli!

wasabi horseradish and paste
Recipes Using Wasabi
Food and Recipes Recipes Nuts and SeedsJanuary 19, 2011
Sticky buns with nuts.
Baking With Nuts
Mixed Nuts in a Bowl
Flavored Nut Recipes
Cracked Pistachio Nuts
Freezing Pistachio Nuts
A pile of shelled pine nuts
Recipes Using Pine Nuts
🎄
🍂