Fluffy Cooked Icing Made Without Flour

I once had a recipe for fluffy white icing using milk, sugar, and vanilla. It was cooked to a pudding/paste, cooled, and incorporated into a fifty-fifty mixture of whipped butter and shortening. I've lost my recipe and was wondering if anyone had the same recipe as most cooked icings appear to be milk and flour based.

By Eileen from Canton, OH

Here are a couple that I have:

The first one I use as a filling for a cookie that I make but I have used it for frosting cakes as well.

5 Tbsp. flour

1 cup milk

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup shortening

1 cup sugar

1 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix flour and milk in a saucepan. Cook over low heat until thick. Remove from heat, place in a bowl and let cool, but do not let it get cold. Cream butter and shortening for 4 minutes with electric mixer. Gradually add sugar and beat until well mixed. Add flour paste mixture and beat for 4 minutes or until smooth.

Add vanilla and blend.

French Buttercream Icing

2/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup flour

1/4 tsp. salt

3/4 cup milk

1 cup butter, cold, divided

1 tsp. vanilla extract

Place sugar, flour and salt in saucepan and mix thoroughly. Stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is very thick. Remove from heat and pour into mixing bowl. Cool to room temperature. Add 1/2 cup of butter at a time and beat until smooth. Add vanilla extract and beat well.

I am sure you could use 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening in the second recipe. All butter makes it very rich.

Hope this is what you are looking for. Enjoy!

I don't have the recipe but Italian meringue icing is similar, butter but no flour. As I remember you make a heavy syrup, beat the hell out of it then when it's coolish add butter and vanilla. Google it, I'm pretty sure of the name.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cakes Frosting and IcingSeptember 5, 2010
All Purpose Flour
What is All Purpose Flour?
Cake Flour
Using Cake Flour
Bread Machine
Recipes Using All Purpose Flour in Bread Machine
Sifting Flower
Sifting Flour Without a Sifter