Grow Cuttings To Give Away

There are many plants that let you take cutting to start new plants. Why not start some in "give-a-way pots". I have several transplants waiting for the right person. They are great for "Welcome to the neighborhood", "Hope you're feeling better", "Have a SMILE", "Cheer up". Great for yard sales or plant swaps, etc.

Also good if you have too many, call your city hall and ask if they need them for the parks and recreation dept. Some places will come and get them and put in landscaping all over town.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

How do you know which plants you can start cuttings from? and do you put them in water to start roots?

Shades of the 1950s! I can remember when nobody bought plants. Neighbors and friends provided cuttings and seeds. I used to allow the little "helicopters" from maple trees to grow in my flower beds to give to neighbors who were buying new houses so they could have a maple tree in their new back yard.

A wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing and I hope this practice will catch on again.

Dear Guest Post. Some plants will root in water. And some need to be plunked in the ground right off and some will not start at all. So trial and error is what I do. Remember I'm OLD and still have so much to learn. Geraniums can be started right in the ground if you live in a mild climate. Otherwise plant in pots that can be moved indoors. ThriftyFun has a link to seed swap and some people will swap cuttings. You'll have fun chatting with gardeners there. Just go for it!! GG Hugs,Vi

This is such a wonderful thing to do for people. I have neighbors who grow cuttings and give the plants as door prizes at their church's senior citizens monthly meeting. Even if it dies by next month, it still gives real joy to someone for a little while. If it thrives, so much the better.

I love the pink geranium photo.

I have been useing the seed swap here at TF, I have had a GREAT experience. Everyone has been honest and generous. What a wonderfull group of people, I thank you. It has encouraged me to try new plants, Moon carrot? Turkey craw bean? Real Italian basil! And so many flowers! I will be able to harvest seeds to pass on next year. It is a wonderfull way to keep goodness in our lives. It keeps the promise of spring close in my heart, And the promise of perpetuating generosity. The small things DO matter.

A cutting of a plant growing in a clay pot.
Starting Plants from Cuttings
Photos GardenJanuary 28, 2008
Rooting Impatiens Cuttings
Rooting Impatiens Cuttings
spider plant in flask
Rooting Plants in Water
Growing Morning Glory from Cuttings
Growing Morning Glory from Cuttings
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
🎉
🎄