CarsCars

Keep a Phone Book in the Car

I put my old or extra telephone books in my car. It's always handy for phone numbers, addresses, most have maps and even coupons. If I have room I put one in my suit case when traveling.

By Jackie from North Powder, OR

I put last year's phone book in my car. This really comes in handy, since my cell phone charges me $1.00 if I call information. This also helps with addresses for my GPS.

That's a great idea. There have been many times that I needed a phone number while in the car and it wasn't in my cell. Why didn't I think of that!

Here's a number worth putting in your cell phone, or your home phone speed dial: 1-800-goog411 or 1-800-466-4411. This is an awesome service from Google, and it's free -- great when you are on the road.

Don't waste your money on information calls and don't waste your time manually dialing the number. I am in my car and I need to call the golf course and I don't know the number. I hit the speed dial for information that I have programmed (1-800-goog411). The voice at the other end says, "Say the name of the business and the City & State." I say, Firewheel Golf Course, Garland, Texas.' He says, "Connecting," and Firewheel answers the phone. How great is that? This is nationwide and it is absolutely free! Works on cell and land line phones.

I have a pal who carries a phone book in her car, for those times when she needs a city map, phone numbers, or restaurant coupons. I'd never thought of carrying one in my car, I just have certain phone numbers in my purse, in case of emergency. But hers is a great idea!

By Terri H.

Answers:

Keep a Phone Book in the Car

Some phone book companies publish a mini-book designed especially to fit in small places (like cars). You have to ask for them. Be warned, though, the print can be tiny! I myself have found several occasions to use the phone book I keep in the car. (11/18/2004)

By calnorth

Keep a Phone Book in the Car

We pick up 9 or 10 phone books each year when the new books come out. Each phone in the house gets one beside it and every vehicle of ours gets one. If you have to call the operator to find out a phone number when you are driving somewhere or need the address of someone in town you've got it already in the phone book and do not have to pay the phone company for the number. (03/04/2005)

By valleyrimgirl

Phone Book in the Car

In this age of cell phones I've found it handy to keep a city phonebook in my car. It seems I'm always thinking I need to call someplace while I'm sitting at a traffic light. I just pull over and look up the number and take care of the business.

By Lynn Thomas (06/14/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Keep a Phone Book in the Car

Yes very good idea, we've done this for years. We also save phone books from other towns. When you move take at least 1 phone book with you. I never throw away a phone book. I put some under a lamp that's not tall enough, put some under a child that's not tall at the table, put flowers in them to be pressed and dried. I'm sure there's more info online, good luck. (02/24/2009)

By k w