How Much Can Car Insurance Increase After an Accident?

How much does a person's car insurance increase following an at fault accident? I've been with the same insurance company for about 19 years and have had no accidents. Times are tough in south Louisiana right now our living came from the gulf and I know the repairs are going to be costly. Just asking for an educated approximation to factor into my already reduced budget.

By Don from south Louisiana oil spill zero

Why not call your insurance agent and ask them. The answer will be more accurate than what you may get on this board.

I think it depends on how long you have been with the company, how many accidents or traffic violations are on your record and, of course, how expensive the accident was.

When my husband was in a fender bender (his fault) a few years ago, our rates didn't change at all. I was recently in my own at fault accident and I was warned that they would review my file and it may result in a rate change. So far, so good! My renewal went through and the cost appear to be just the same.

Good luck!

Get quotes from all the insurance companies in your area, then let your insurance company know you checked as well. At fault, depending on the cause and outcome--fatalities would cancel you from further coverage. Other things like speeding tickets, DUI, exhibition driving, etc are all grounds for a high risk driver, no matter how long you are with a company. They have to put you on notice first by the letter, then it is in your permanent file. Any infraction, stop sign, etc which some are state records, some are not, will count. Any ticket on a state/US highway will count against you. Some states have point systems that are used for insurance purposes. Also used for pulling licenses too.

If you don't carry a "first accident forgiveness" feature on your car insurance policy, it can go from a slight increase, to the policy being dropped completely depending on your auto insurance company's rules and how long you have been with them. Your car insurance agent or rep will be your most accurate source of information.

Budget & Finance Auto InsuranceJune 20, 2010
Saving Money on Health Insurance, Health Insurance Paperwork
Saving Money on Health Insurance
A new home.
Saving Money on Home Owner's Insurance
home insurance file
Lender Placed Insurance