Lighting and ElectricHome Improvement

Installing Grounded Electrical Outlets

I'm having this debate with my husband about how to install grounded electrical outlets. Should the 2 prong slots be on the top or bottom? I was told that when installed it should look like a smiley face with the round hole on the bottom. Does it make any difference?

Rose from Malvern, PA

It makes no difference which way they are installed other than the plug has to be turned the same direction as the outlet holes. I have had them both directions in different houses.

When I took basic electricity, we were told the smily face rule. We were told that some cords/plugs are "weighted" and tend to want to slip out the other way.

I have a Black and Decker scrubber battery charger that plugs in and holds the battery in the charger next to the wall. It is grounded. If I were to put it into an outlet with the ground on top, I would have to flip the charger over, and the battery would fall out. Then it would not charge the battery. The same also applies to my electric toothbrush, now that I look at it also...

I was taught that you install the outlet with the ground on the bottom. That way if the plug starts to come out of the socket it is still grounded.

Electrically it should make no difference whatsoever -- however, I have built many homes in the past, and my electricians have always put the ground pins on the bottom; I have been in many hospitals and medical office buildings recently, unfortunately, and I have noticed that the ground pins are on top. I have wondered why.