Honey Gets You Everywhere: Frugal And Useful Tips

Hi, I have got tips for you.

When you buy tires from Goodyear, they rotate your tires for free (a $30 plus savings) every time. We only had the money to buy 2 at the time, but this still applies to us. Might have been a smidge higher at the outset for the tires, but it has paid for itself many times over. They also frequently run sales on the oil changes. Right now, there is a $15.95 coupon out and there is even a $4.00 rebate on top of that. I am saving money like crazy on this one.

Also, it pays to call your phone company to check on unadvertised specials. We are with AT&T and I called them the other day with the intention of dropping the Select 3 option (caller ID, etc). The kind person told me my internet rate would go up. I asked if there was any way to save since I was on a limited income. She said it is unadvertised, but I can give you $10 off a month of basic service for the next 6 monthes, plus I can also give you $5 off a month for the next 12 months off your Select 3 plan. So, $15 whole dollars off my phone bill, just because I called and got snoopy.

I also had received an advertisement from Dish Network, trying to get us to switch our sattelite service to them. I told DirecTV about it on the phone, our contract was due to expire. I didn't threaten to move service or anything, just mentioned our new option. Well, the lady said I can give you $10 off a month for the next 6 monthes. (It was a loyalty incentive, lol.) Also, last winter, when Directv's Pay-Per-View service was not up to par on Sundays, I complained and got $10 off a month for, I think, 12 months. They didn't anticipate there to be such a huge demand for football on Sunday and therefore you couldn't see anything to order on Sundays on Pay-Per-View in our area until like 7 or 8 pm at night. So, complain nicely and you might get a reduction like I seem to keep getting.

I have gotten inferior made products several times lately and I call the customer 800 number lines and tell them. I am always rewarded with free products or a coupon for a good amount off my next purchase. One cat litter company I contacted about the trouble with my $5 box of cat litter sent me 2 free coupons which netted me $16 worth of free cat litter. I am nice when I talk to these people and honey gets you everywhere, lol.

By Lori from Marion, AR

I had a couple of similar things happen to me in the last month or two. I bought a 1/2 gallon of Edy's brand Slow Churned Caramel Delight Ice Cream. This is my favorite ice cream and I eat quite a bit of it. This container had an oddly "grainy/gritty" texture to it. I e-mailed their website that day and received a reply the next day. Within the next 10 days, I received an envelope containing 2 coupons for .50 each on Nesquik Chocolate Syrup, 2 coupons for .50 each off any 1 qt. or larger Edy's Ice Cream product and a gift certificate for one FREE 1.75 quart carton of any Edy's ice cream product!

Two weeks after that, I was cooking a birthday dinner for 2 of my 3 granddaughters (they were turning 5 & 9) and was making OreIda Tater Tots. One batch cooked perfectly; however, the second batch fell apart and resembled hash browns when I took them from the grease! Again I e-mailed their company's website and within 10 days received 2 coupons for .50 off any OreIda product and a coupon for any FREE OreIda product!

It does pay to be nice AND complain sometimes!

Yes, I agree. ALSO...if you have a low deductible homeowner's insurance, and THINK you might have received hail damage, call a roofer to double check. Be nice and call to report the most always "positive"

check-up, then get the new roof for only the cost of the deductible.....unless they've changed their policy?

If there is water standing in the street much of the time for any reason, report it to the city and ask if it could contribute to the West Nile Virus mosquitoes?

In our town, they are quick to properly correct the

wet area, and soon.

If your chimney brick is chipping, have your ins. adjuster to look at it and it will likely be covered

with them absorbing the deductible.

At many PS2 computer game stores, should you buy

a game and not like it..,with the receipt one can return/exchange for still another game, if returned within the first week, ad infinitum.

God bless you.

Better Living Frugal Living TipsSeptember 20, 2006
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Frugal Birthday Party
Frugal Party Locations
Vacation Fund Jar
Frugal Vacation Activities
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living