Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Son's eyes red and itchy after showering.

My son has asthma and seasonal allergies. Lately, after he gets out of the shower, he complains about his eyes and palms itching. His eyes get very bloodshot and itch until I give him Benedryl. He is 14 so I know he isn't getting soap in his eyes. We have always used Dove soap and Clairol's Herbal Essence Shampoo. The funny thing is, this has never bothered him before! Has anyone else ever experienced this before? Any replies would be appreciated!

Thanks,
A. from Mo.

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Melissa M. [25]10/10/2009

Just getting a lot of water in your eyes can make them red, especially if there is a lot of chlorine in your water.

By moshe07/20/2009

I recently bought a large box of surf from sams because it was cheaper than the rest. Like the rest of the country times are a little tight so a penny saved ya know. Anyway it took me about a month of absolute suffering to realize that the detergent was reaking havoc on me. Anytime I came in contact with anything that came in contact with surf detergent my eyes will swell up terrible, the back of my throat will itch something fierce and instantly my sinuses will clog to the point that my ears are popping.The longer I go in this environment the sicker I got.

My lymphs doubled in size, I started having a low grade fever and no amount of antihistamines would help. I have had no previous allergies to anything. I wear cologne and all kinds of smell good stuff so I consider myself to be tolerant of these things but this detergent "surf" was literally killing me. Had I not found out it was the detergent there is no doubt in my mind I would be in the hospital right now. You may ask how I know that surf was the culprit? Process of elimination. Just my story take it how you want and I hope it may help someone who is having the same issues.

By Kathleen (Guest Post)07/09/2008

Allergies can develop anytime. Your son's symptoms sound like mine. I found out I'm allergic to detergents and fragrance. I now use fragrance free everything. For the laundry I use Maggie's Soap Nuts. You can find them online. They are awesome. No more itching! Check out the reviews and good luck. :)

By sue (Guest Post)04/25/2005

I have been using the same shampoo and soap for years. In february my eyes started itching and the next day I had swollen eyes, very itchy head, temples and this has gone on for weeks. Very itchy when I was hot. I finally had a patch test and was told that I have all of a sudden become allergic to Cocamidropropyl Betaine, which is found in most shampoos and soap. By this time I had very bad eczma on my back shoulders, chest and eyes. Yesterday I washed my hair in a chinese herbal shampoo and for the first time in months i am not itching! I hope that this is of some help.

By badwater [242]03/05/2005

I've never had a problem with Clairol Herbal Essence, but I can't use Surf Detergent now. I used to use Surf and did so for years, but they changed the formula and it makes me itch. I've even heard of others that Surf bothers. One even told me his Dr. asked if he uses Surf Detergent as it's bad about irritating the skin. Perhaps you're using Surf Detergent?

By Kelly (Guest Post)02/02/2005

When I was 12 years old (I'm 38 now) I had a problem with the skin on my palms and between my fingers blistering and peeling. My twin sister had the same problem. We had been using Herbal Essence shampoo for quite a while, but when we stopped using it, the probem went away, so I always figured that was the culprit.

Incidentally, I started using it again a few years ago, so either they changed the formula, or I outgrew the problem.

Good luck to you!

By it's.only.me [165]02/01/2005

Another idea is to check out your water supply. Maybe something has changed in your water if it comes from a water treatment plant or if you have a private well. Some people can be more sensitive to change than others.

By kathy (Guest Post)02/01/2005

Sometimes really hot water makes my daughter break out like this. Maybe if he tried a more tepid temp. I agree it could be the laundry detergent too.

By Kentucky Lass (Guest Post)02/01/2005

This product is somewhat expensive, but Purpose soapless cleanser would be good, or perhaps you could try a generic baby wash, which is about the same as baby shampoo.
All the best to you!

By Beverly [1]02/01/2005

It is possible to develop an allergy to something you've been using all along, so it might very well be the shampoo or soap. Try changing one at a time to see if either makes a difference.

By Barbaral [1]01/31/2005

your son's asthma and seasonal allergies are a huge problem with or without this additional problem. I wonder if he can be reacting to chlorine or something else in the water.

I used to have allegies myself but found out that a large dose of Vitamin C daily eliminated the allegies. It is called "bowel tolerance" level of C. You can research this on the internet.

By Marge Mayhew [2]01/31/2005

Detergent residue or fabric softner in his towel and washcloth?

By Shari (Guest Post)01/31/2005

The thing with allergies is that they can come and go - it may be that he has just recently developed an allegy to the Herbal Essenses shampoo. Also, have you been using any new products to clean the bathroom with? Or it maybe that the manufacturer has changed some of the ingredients in the shampoo formulas or bathroom cleaners you use - it happens. :(

All I can really suggest is removing one item at a time from his shower routine (I'd start with the shampoo first though) and your cleaners, and see if you can figure out what is causing the problem through trial and error. Hope you can find the cause soon.

By Denise Sumpter Foy01/31/2005

People can become allegeric to scents even if they have always been using them. I know my husband and son, who also both have asthma, can only use Ivory soap. Maybe the manufacturer makes the ones you use differently than they used to? Also, I am highly allergic to mold. Although, I am certain you have a very clean shower, sometimes a tub needs to be extra clean to kill mold. Or, have you been using a differnt cleanser in the tub? How's your shower curtain? Just some thoughts.

By Denise Sumpter Foy01/31/2005

People can become allegeric to scents even if they have always been using them. I know my husband and son, who also both have asthma, can only use Ivory soap. Maybe the manufacturer makes the ones you use differently than they used to? Also, I am highly allergic to mold. Although, I am certain you have a very clean shower, sometimes a tub needs to be extra clean to kill mold. Or, have you been using a differnt cleanser in the tub? How's your shower curtain or door? Just some thoughts.