Yarn Storage Tips

I previously submitted an idea about using oversized shoe bags from thrift shops to store yarn. You can get the kind that are for shoes that are upright and usually clear plastic. Another kind lets the shoes slide in horizontally, so either one can hold either smaller or larger skeins of yarn. The photo I submitted is with fabric, as all of my yarn is in storage right now, but you get the idea.

I find that the under the bed style smaller clear containers are nice too, especially if you prefer rolled balls of yarn rather than skeins, which I do.

Another good way to store yarn is to save the clear bags you get vegetables in at the stores, fill them so they have room to hang on a hanger, and use the bulldog clips to do just that.

And finally, the two for a dollar hanger extenders can let you hang smaller bags of yarn all the way to the floor if you need to. I sure hope this helps.

By Sandi from Salem, OR

These are very clever and useful tips Sandi - thanks for sharing your ideas!

Picture of several skeins of yarn.
Organizing Yarn
Organizing CraftsJuly 12, 2011
Wind Yarn with a Hand Mixer
Rolling Up Leftover Yarn
Photo of a finished dog made out of yarn.
Making a Yarn Dog
knitting needles
Using Eyelash Yarn
Trellis Yarn Necklace
Making Trellis Yarn Jewelry
🎄