Cooking Roast on the Grill

When it is extremely hot, I cook a pork or beef roast on my charcoal grill. You do this by using some heavy duty foil. Sprinkle meat tenderizer (inexpensive is best!) on the meat and wrap in foil making a packet. Then place on the grill and let cook. It usually takes anywhere from 1 to 2 hours. My family loves it and the meat is usually falling apart.

By Karen from Pensacola, FL

(Originally posted 7/2006

I fixed one of my chuck roasts on the grill Sunday nite - but placed it right on the grill w/no foil wrapping - delicious!!!!!

I will have to think about trying this. It has been extremely hot here. Last two Sun's tho I did roasts in the crock pot. I do not find that a crock pot puts off much heat and I like that I can get it ready in the morning and basically forget about it till dinner. Sun I did a pork roast in it which I had never done before....why, I don't know as I have done crock pot cooking for 30+ yrs. Anyway, it was so delicious....very tender and moist....just fell apart and I could cut with a fork. Here's how I did it: Slice onions and place in bottom of crock pot, salt and pepper a boneless pork roast (sorry I don't remember what size or type of roast it was but perhaps it was a pork loin & it had very little fat), also sprinkle on some garlic powder. Place roast over the sliced onions. Pour 1/2 cup - 1 cup of water and place a bay leaf on top of the roast. Put on lid, turn to high for one hr and then low for the rest of the day. I started mine around 8:30-9:00 am to have it done by 6:00 dinner-time. Make some gravy with the drippings by skimming any fat, make a past of water and flour and add to drippings in small saucepan, stir and heat.

My mother in law does hams in the gas grill and they are very good.

If using "tenderizer", buy/use ONLY one WITHOUT

MSG (Monosodium Glutamate), which has long been

known to cause brain cancer. Once in a great while may not hurt, but since grilling in itself, on a frequent

basis, produces Hydrocarbons from the charcoal and smoke that cause cancers, it seems like double jepardy to ALSO use anything with MSG in it.....UNLESS ....you don't grill daily or weekly, only occasionally. PASS IT ON. GOD BLESS YOU.

Grill on low heat? Indirect heat?

We don't do a lot of backyard grilling, so we only have a small charcoal grill. But I noticed that this tipster said she cooks the roast for 1 to 2 hours on a charcoal grill. Sorry I'm so uninformed about this, but how do you get charcoal to stay hot for 1 to 2 hours? When I do the occasional steak, it seems like after about 45 minutes the coals are getting cooled down. We just use regular charcoal, not quick start or anything. But I've never had a fire stay hot that long. What's the trick?

I use the barrel grill you can buy at kroger for $99, about 3 lbs of charcoal will last 2 hours if the air is right . it takes alot of practice to learn your grill

I season my roast with a dry rub (store bought or homemade)and put on indirect heat for about 6 hours at 300 degrees. I like to use bone-in roast they stay moist. The meat pulls away from the bone when done and shreads easy with two forks.

Pork Chop on the grill.
Grilling Pork
Food and Recipes Food Tips BBQ and GrillJune 20, 2008
Steaks on George Foreman Grill
Using A George Foreman Grill
Cover for an Outdoor Grill
Making a Cover for an Outdoor Grill
Crockpot Pork Roast
Crockpot Pork Roast Recipes
Cooking on a Public Grill
Cooking on a Public Grill
🎉
🎄