Keeping Cool When Walking The Dog

My dogs and I walk every morning. The weather in southern California is heating up. When it gets like this, we go out earlier in the morning and I have a hat and a kerchief which, when soaked in water keeps me cool. They each have gel in them and it makes an amazing difference. I got the hat on the internet. The dogs don't seem bothered by the heat when we walk. During the day, they prefer to be in the air-conditioned house.

By Maya from Redlands, CA

I agree, summers in D.C. are nasty and I will not take mine out in the heat of the day either. We go for our walks in the morning and when the sun goes down.

I also have the "gel" lined scarves for them, but remember the pavement can reach 138 degrees when the sun is out.

Mine love snoozing in the a/c also!

I totally get you when it comes to heating issues. I have a adorable 9 year old golden lab. It's really common for them to have heat strokes. After the first time my dog had a stroke i went crazed, I spent hours searching for answers. And I am happy to share my advice. First of all keep yourself hydrated you can't help a dog if your not. Currently you can buy water bottles with a fold down flap for you dog to drink. Carry a towel to if you dog stokes put the towel on him and pour water all over him.