Cleaning a Finch Cage While She is Sitting on Eggs

Is it OK to pull the bottom of the finch cage out to clean it, when there are eggs in the nest and the female is sitting on them? I'm afraid she might abandon the eggs.

By Joyce from Marietta, GA

Answers

I'm assuming you have the type nest that hangs on the side of the cage, and that your birds are as used to you reaching in to clean as finches can get. As long as both these are true, then there's no problem with removing the bottom for cleaning. I had finches for a while and it didn't bother them at all when I did that.

If they normally get really upset (not just some because all finches will get some upset, but I mean actually panicky) when you reach in, then I wouldn't. Just go slow when you're handling the cage and you should be fine.

Good luck! Finches can be so much fun!

Caring for Zebra Finches
Caring for Zebra Finches
Pets BirdsMarch 16, 2010
looking down into potato cage with new growth
Building a Potato Cage
ferrets in their hammock
Setting Up a Ferret Cage
Litter Training a Hamster
Litter Training a Hamster
My Finch Laid Eggs
My Finch Laid Eggs
🎄