Keeping Mice Out of a Dryer Vent

I'm having trouble keeping mice out of my dryer vent. They sneak right in through the louvers.

Granny from El Paso, IL

Maybe you could try cover the vent with some mesh with holes large enough not to restrict ventilation, but small enough that the mice cannot get through.

Stuff some steel wool in the louvres. The air can still pass thru, but mice won't be able to.

I bought a plastic cover that just screws into the wall. It covers it but has small slits for the air to vent so nothing can get through it. Very cheap fix.

Attach a piece of metal window screening to the pipe. Just make sure to clean the lint so the vent does not get clogged, or it can pose a fire hazard.

a metal grate or strong mesh with games no bigger than 1/5 of an inch will go a long way to keeping them out.

Also, you can get rat bait stations and bait from a do it yourself pest control store fairly cheap now a days and put it a few feet away from the vent (look for grease stains around the vent to see where they traffic) and wipe them out for good.

Hardware cloth is great for keeping mice out. You can find large rolls of 1/2 inch, chrome or nickle plated 23 gauge hardware cloth that will keep them out. Steel wool is good, too, but be sure to secure it or the mice will just push/pull it out.

I have a new Whirlpool Duet Steam dryer. It is only three months old and caught fire. The serviceman came today and discovered a mound of dog food stuffed around the heating element. The dog food and the mouse shorted the element causing it to over-heat and catch fire.

The serviceman said that the elements in top loaders are standing straight up where the front loaders are sideways letting pests make nests. If I hadn't been home my house would have been destroyed. The warranty won't fix my $1500 dryer for liability issues. Any suggestions?

wild mouse
Keeping Mice Out of a Dryer Vent
Home and Garden Pest Control MiceDecember 7, 2006
Floor Air Vent
Removing Urine Odors From an Air Vent
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
Dryer Vent Snowman
Making a Dryer Vent Snowman
Clothes Dryer
Cleaning a Dryer Vent
🎄