Reverse Menu Planning

Get Organized: I will first start in the pantry. I try to arrange all of my canned/dry goods in categories. I put all tomato based products together, canned veggies, soups, beans, etc.

Start The Inventory:I write down exactly what I have and the quantities of everything in my pantry, freezer, and refrigerator

Start Planning: Once I have my inventory I go through some recipe ideas I have on hand or look some up using a recipe finder online that allows you to type which items you already have then pops out a recipe.

Make A Shopping List: I may have 5 items but need two to complete the recipe. I create a list for the missing items so I am not buying too many things that are not needed.

Write Out A Calendar: You can schedule when you will prepare menu items or you can just make a list and cross them off as you prepare them.

By doing reverse menu planning you are saving money, using up everything you have, being more organized, and ensuring you are eating at home more often. With out a plan you are planning to fail.

By Misty from Aurora, CO

I find that allrecipes.com has a great Ingredients feature which I use for this purpose. I also buy items on sale and then come home and figure out what to cook. So far almost everything has been both tasty and unique.

A paper with fields to write all the meals for a week.
Planning Meals
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsSeptember 1, 2010
Sewing Machine
Sewing Machine Stuck in Reverse
Making a Dinner Menu Board
Making a Dinner Menu Board
Photo of a woman with a broken sewing machine that won't go in reverse.
Sewing Machine Won't Sew in Reverse
dark jeans
Fading Dark Jeans
🎉
🎄