Getting Rid of the Urine Smell from My Toilet

I have a dreadful urine stench from one of my toilets. The bathroom smells like a men's public toilet. It is cleaned frequently. What can I do?

Thanks

By maeref

Best Answer

After many years cleaning houses I found that many people do not clean under the rim of their bowls very well. Get some rubber gloves and a scrubby and give that a try. It can get really built up under there. Also some folks (you know who you are) miss the toilet completely and there can be a buildup under the base of the toilet where you cannot reach it. Try squirting some Natures Miracle (for pet accidents) under there and wait a few days. Often the odor will be completely gone.

Best Answer

I poured Pinesol on the floor all the way around the toilet and let it set. I wiped it up about 3 hours later. The bathroom smelled like Pinesol for the rest of the day, but the next day it was odor free.

If you have tried cleaning, the most likely problem is the wax seal under the toilet, they can develop gaps, and allow liquid to seep down under and into the flooring. The ehow site rec. by MCW should help you with replacing that.

Best of luck to you!

Is someone missing the toilet and dribbling on the floor? If so the urine is going under the toilet and causing the smell. If not then you may need to have the wax ujnder the toilet replaced but I suggest you get a plumber to do it. These things last for years and years if they are done right so your best bet is to hire it done.

The odor may be coming from under your flooring? Little boys (and sometimes Big ones) sometimes miss the target. :) New flooring and sub floor may be in order if this is the real problem.

Soak the whole area with vinegar and let it stand for awhile, then dry it up.