Natural Cleaning Products

What is the difference in regards to results and purpose of borax vs. washing soda? Why do I need both? When do I use one vs. the other?

By Danielle from Raleigh, NC

It depends on what you are using it for; if you make your own laundry detergent using soap, you usually use both; you can use cattle grade baking soda (not for consumption) you can get at a grange or where cow feed is sold; you can use it exactly as you would "comet"; you can put it and vinegar into the toilet bowl for "scrubbing bubbles"; toss in a little hydrogen 3 percent and it will be far cleaner than if used bleach.

I am thinking that you can use washing soda the same way as you would use baking soda; must be along the same lines; or borax. I see no need to use both unless you make your laundry detergent with some of the recipes out there.

I used to make my own laundry detergent til they started putting so many chemicals into Fels Naptha and Zete that I could not even have it in the house! At that time I switched to using biokleen laundry; you use very little with it as no fillers (same as home made) however there is no chemicals involved in it at all. One large box has lasted me a year; still working on it; and got a smaller box when on sale for the next year; as I can't see ever paying full price for something that you cannot eat!

Just as an FYI - I think there are different types (grades?) of borax available, as one type can be used as a roach eliminator (behind appliances, cabinet toe-kicks, etc.). It comes as a fine powder in a plastic nozzle-type bottle, which is NOT the one intended for laundry and cleaning purposes. This one must be kept secure from exposure to children, pets, and other animals.

Please be sure you get the correct type.

October 3, 2010 Flag

Borax is a natural product, which easily biodegrades. It disinfects, deodorizes and inhibits mold growth.

Washing Soda cuts grease, cleans petroleum products and dirt. It is slightly caustic, so it may be wise to wear gloves and/or take particular care when using.

Natural Cleaning Products

White or cider vinegar to clean the shower head. I just fill a small baggie with vinegar, rubber band it to the shower head making sure it is completely covered with vinegar. Leave it set overnight, remove baggie, lightly scrub with a soft brush. Could not believe how easy and nice this worked with our hard country water. (02/11/2010)

By jimsjunque

Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply RecipesOctober 3, 2010
Wooden hairbrush on a black background.
Cleaning Hairbrushes
Pet Ferret
Household Products for Removing Pet Odors
Soap Nuts
Using Soap Nuts for Household Cleaning
Cleaning Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors