Adult With Severe Fear Of Dentists

My son, who will be 40 years old tomorrow, has an intense phobia with dentists. He was abused as a child by an idiot dentist. He cannot overcome the fear. Although I sympathize, it is embarrassing to have to accompany him, when he has a dental appointment. I would like to know if anyone has overcome this fear without the expense of a therapist.

Also, he has gone to one, who did nothing to help. The new dentist he has seems very qualified, but doesn't like to use nitrous oxide, although she can. He almost fainted during his last appointment, but she did manage to check his teeth after having given him oxygen, which I thought was the most intelligent thing to do. I know that she is the most qualified dentist around here, but I want him to be able to go to appointments without me. Thanks for any help!

Kentucky-lass from Rome City, IN

There are dentists in our area that routinly

sedate their patients with this phobia.

Call around, ask questions, get a referral.

Thanks, Ima, for your feedback. His problem has been that when he finds a dentist who sedates they don't seem very qualified. The woman dentist he has found in Auburn is a terrific dentist, and NEVER does work that isn't necessary. I think she is going to be able to work with him. I sure pray that she will. She can use nitrous oxide, but prefers to deal with the fear, and not have patients depend on the nitrous oxide. I think that's a good idea, but I think she will use it until he gets used to the new dentist.

in england very nervous patients are given a intravenous injection of valium/ tranquilisers it is great

I too had several bad experiences with dentists. Your son needs to go to a dentist that is patient and understanding of his fear. He needs to have the option of using gas if he feels the need. I think the most important thing is to be able to feel in control, and let the dentist know it is important to your healing process. It is a healing process and something that can be overcome. It just takes time. I now have no more fear of going to the dentist, and am able to go without gas except if I have a long procedure done in which I need to be in the chair for a long time.

Try getting him to see a counselor again. The biggest misconception about counseling is that the counselor can give a miraculous cure. It is the client that must actually WANT to change and take the time to change. If he can find a counselor he feels comfortable with then perhaps he can solve the root of his problem and finally cure his phobia.

My husband had a fear of dentists and just did not go. It got to the point that he really had to have extensive dental work done so he called the local dentist, explained his fear, and was given a very small prescription of valium. He was to take one pill 1/2 hour before his appointment. Worked great and helped him to overcome his fear too as he does not need the valium any longer. (Took about 4 months)

I want to thank all of you for your helpful information. All of you had good advice. He is going to see an endodontist for a root canal, and I know he will give him nitrous oxide.

I really appreciate everyone's help!

Avoiding Stress at the Dentist
Avoiding Stress at the Dentist
Better Living Self ImprovementApril 18, 2008
A woman afraid to get her hair cut.
Help With Tonsurephobia (Fear of Hair Cuts)
closeup of electric toothbrush
Using an Electric Toothbrush
Woman and Her Adult Daughter
Being a Parent to Adult Children
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
🎉
🎄