Kitchen AppliancesHome Improvement

Alternatives to Painting a Refrigerator

I just updated my kitchen countertops with black granite. Now my refrigerator looks so sad. What ideas are out there besides painting, to change the appearance of my frig?

By tonicarr from Hopewell, VA

Anonymous

To spruce up my fridge, I cut out pictures from magazines that I liked and stuck them to magnets (the kind that are sold in strips with a sticky back). It's changeable and not as solid as a paint-change, but it's something different. Hope it helps!

How about finding contact paper in a pretty design and putting it on your fridge.

You can also find a contact like paper that is supposed to make your appliances look like stainless. I have seen it in some of the "junk" catalogs that I get in the mail. I have also seen it used on some of the decorating shows on TV.

Anonymous

I am thinking wallpaper. The kind that has a waterproof type outer texture. It would be a lot easier to remove than contact paper if you changed your mind and lots and lots of different design (or non-design) choices ;-)

Also, the hanging can be made really easy by removing handles and/or the door instead of trying to hang the paper around the hardware ;-)

Yup the option of vinyl wallpapering has been mentioned. That is what I also was going to suggest :)

If you have a used appliance store, or a recycle store, or a thrift store in your area, they sometimes sell 'fridge parts. Just buy a new door. It costs about $35 here at our Habitat For Humanity store. You need 'fridge dimensions, model number, and a picture is a good idea. Tell the salesperson what kind of 'fridge you have and "right or left side" opening, and it really changes your whole "fridge look!

If you are very patient you can cover them with a "stainless steel' lookalike heavier than contact paper, available in major hardware stores. Your surface has to be absolutely clean and your cuts have to be perfect. It's almost too much work. Have you thought of painting it with the sponge method to give it a granite effect? Just thinking out loud here. :-)