BedroomDecorating

Redoing a Bedroom Without Painting

I want to redo my room. I don't want to completely redo the painting and all, but I want to add color. My walls, pillows and blankets are all blue and I have a brown cube/chair thing. But that's about all the color I have. And I'm on a tight budget. I like the colors orange, green and yellow, but I don't know how to bring them in without going overboard or without them matching. Help!

Megan from Olney, MD

Megan: How about curtains in a print that's a mixture of orange, green, yellow, and blue? Then add some inexpensive prints using those colors. That would tie it all together and you don't have to match anything too closely.

Sheets are more cost effective when transforming a room. Curtains, pillows, coverlets are made cheaper when made with them. Aldo try adding some plants to the room. The green will make the yellow and orange pop. Try a large bowl of oranges and lemons.

I have made really attractive curtains with sheets and they make them in nice prints and color combinations now. Calendar prints frame beautifully. I have a barn print hanging in my living room from a 1960 calendar and I still get compliments on it.

Perhaps you could get a large blank canvas from one of the dollar type stores and cover it in a fabric using your favourite colours for some cheap artwork (or maybe even a few smaller canvases). If you already have artwork/frames on the walls perhaps you could buy some cheap sample-pots of paint and repaint the frames in your favourite colours.

Also cushions are a great and inexpensive way to add some colour, just tossed on the bed!

I don't know if you have curtains up but you could mabye use/change tie-backs or trim a valance with some coloured ribbon or such.

If you have lamps, maybe you could paint the bases or change /embellish the shades, another cheap way to add colour.

You mentioned not wanting to go overboard, so I suggest implementing colours in stages until you achieve something you're happy with.

Good luck :)

One quick idea that hasn't been suggested yet...you might check on wall stickers/decals. I've seen them in various prints such as flowers, seashells, etc. They could add some color to the walls or mirror but easily be removed later without harm by simply peeling off (no sticky glue or adhesive on them). They can be found at Walmart, eBay, etc. for just a few dollars for several on a sheet. Good luck & have fun!

I absolutely love going to the Dollar Tree and they have those wall decals and even have floor tiles and wall borders. And the perk is that everything is only a dollar. I bought cute little green/yellow baskets for my wash cloths (I roll them) and various containers for shoes, headbands, ribbons, barettes (sp?) etc. Another idea is to go to the local thrift shops. I also love Goodwill. I get some brand new (still with tags on) from them. I believe Target has a partnership with them to give them any things that didn't sell clearanced. Target gets a tax write off and Goodwill has brand new items to sell even cheaper. Anyway, good luck and again, I love Dollar Tree & Thrift Shops to keep my costs down.

Afghan cover in your favorite color(s) tossed over the back of chair and can be used to keep warm while reading and would add a splash of color in solid/print.

Layer floor pillows in orange, yellow, blue and green beside the chair and make it a cozy corner near book shelf or tv.

Artificial silk flowers in cream, orange and yellow with green leaves sitting in a blue vase would compliment and tie together your colors. Right now, orange and yellow are "in" as autumn is approaching and can be found cheaply to make yourself. Also, a clear vase with colored marbles of blue and fill the vase and hold floral pics secure are great and light catches the glass and sparkles a bit.

Also, if you add a wall mirror to the opposite side where light enters it will refract and make the room appear brighter. You could also paint the frame to match your favorite colors, or sponge with acrylic paint all colors onto the frame to tie in the blue, orange and yellow, but make sure it's dry after each application. Accrylic paint can be found at WalMart and is really cheap. After application is complete, paint over with the acrylic sealer; a milkish white color but dries a clear gloss.

If you have the time and enjoy working with your hands, you could draw a pattern on rug canvas and buy the skeins of yarn in your favorite color choice and make your own latch hook wall hanging as it's e-z and fun and not too expensive.

Also, if you're a bookworm, you can make book covers using your incorporated colors in the room.

A small rug in front of your chair, beside the bed and in front of tv stand each in a different color would add pizazz.

You could find a wall paper border - hopefully at a dollar store - that you like and coordinate to that. I have used one with a nautical theme to decorate a lamp for my husband & it has brown, yellow, cream and burgundy in it. If, for example, you chose a nautical sea theme, you could then put splashes of color on the walls with framed pictures, photos or even thrift shop paintings! and have a cream/burgundy pillow or two or drape an afghan over a chair. I think full out orange would be a bit too much - but salmon and yellow verging on orange would work. One good thing about taking your cue from a wallpaper border, is that the color palette has already been figured out for you!