Use Tin Foil to Deter Cats from House Plants

I have read questions on how to keep cats out of your house plants. Simple, use tin foil. Lay tin foil around the plant on the dirt. Don't push it down onto the dirt or you will start to get some mold. Just lay it on top. Your cats will hate it, and your plants will be fine. Also, they do make colored tin foil if you don't want the plain silver.

By Laurie from Osakis, MN

This is easier if you use a foil pie pan...just cut a slit to the center and a hole in the middle to fit around your plant's stem, fold down the cut edges so they won't damage your plants, and slide it on...UPSIDE DOWN.....I find the ones with the tiny holes all over the pie pan work best....stops the cats from using the dirt for litter...but doesn't stop mine from eating the plants!!! I had to hang all my plants from the I have my own private "hanging garden"!!

Foil is pretty ugly. We had the same problem, but the best way we found is to collect smooth rocks from the beach or river (or buy, I suppose) and place them on top. It's attractive, and still lets the soil get water and fertilizer. It's like a mulch that the cats don't want to dig into!

Cats HATE the smell of oranges. Just put a few orange peels on top of the soil and they will not go near it. This is also great for flower beds outside. I have used this tip for years now. ~Janette~

My cat loves to play with tin foil, so this tip wouldn't work.

I have a Bengal cat that loves to play with tin foil. A co-worker of mine told me to try this tin foil method and it simply did not work for her. She enjoyed the crinkly noise that it made and proceeded to drag it all around the apartment and finally tore it to little pieces. I'm still finding little bits after about a month. She doesn't seem to be afraid of anything, not even the vacuum cleaner.

Just five minutes ago I caught my wonderful, adorable, un-trouble making kitten in the same potted plant for the millionth time, dirt on the floor, foil torn to shreds. I find he can't seem to help himself after we've watered. Being an indoor cat he seems to love anything that smells like outside (coats, shoes, dirt, xmas tree) and the dirt smells stronger moist. I'm starting to wonder if I'll have to get rid of my plants :( I love them as much as him! I will definitely try the pebble/rock thing though. But foil, for my family, did not work! I think he's got a mind of his own and is going to dig where he feels like it. Trouble, trouble, trouble.

Try pinecones or sweetgum balls. They look better and look more natural. Anne from NC

This is the problem I'm trying to solve right now. First I used Black Pepper. I just ground it on top of the dirt but it didn't work. Next, what I'm currently doing, I'm using the tin foil but it also doesn't work. So I tried putting the pepper on top of the tin foil & still didn't work. I'm going to try the citrus peels next I saw on another post. These 2 little monsters are killing all my baby Aloe plants! Grr

Unfortunately, I tried that but it didn't deter our cat one little bit. I don't doubt that it worked for you and others, but for us we are still searching for the miracle that will save our plants.

I tried this and woke up and pee and poop on the tin foil. My cat also took a piece of it to play with.

the tin foil does not work with my 5 mo old kitten!!

I tried that the little stinker peed on the tinfoil!. Ugh!

A cat in a house plant.
Keeping Cats Out of House Plants
Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsJanuary 22, 2009
pan lined with foil
Lining a Pan With Aluminum Foil
Southwestern Chicken Breasts
Foil Packet Recipes
roll of foil
Using Aluminum Foil and Plastic Wrap Correctly
Tin Can Frog
Tin Can Animal Crafts