Have a Plan in Case of a Fire

Being prepared for a fire. Have a plan.

I live in an apartment on the second floor and at 4:00 am this morning I was awakened by sirens and pounding on doors. I got up to look and see what was going on and a knock immediately came to my door. I opened and it was a fire fighter yelling, "Get out, your apartment is on fire!" and smoke was billowing in through the doorway.

I sleep only in undies and a t-shirt but blessedly my bottoms and slippers were next to my bed so I was able to retrieve them quickly. However, I ended up wasting precious time grabbing eyeglasses in one place, wallet and keys in another place, purse with address book in yet another place and my kitty hiding under the bed.

I was able to round up the material items while fire fighter helped rescue the kitty in just over a minute but in hindsight I have come to realize that all important articles should be in one spot near the door at all times because even a few seconds, when there's smoke and fire, can be a matter of life and death. Had my items all been in one spot near the door, all I would have had to do was grab my precious kitty and then the purse with everything in it on the way out the door.

Some people wouldn't even open their doors to the fire fighters and they had to bust the doors down and make them get out. Just grab what you have to, or can, and get out!

My apartment ended up being saved and okay but seven others were damaged and two completely.

I will close this letter with a smile. I had put my sweat pants on backwards. ;-)

Thankful to our fire fighters!

My friends think I'm crazy, but, for many years living in apartments with people that are leaving stoves on, burning food, putting extension cords under rugs, and being very careless in their attitude about getting out if there is a fire. I have my computer passwords,some good jewelery, important papers, I am a senior and I have my vial of life with me plus in the freezer door. Slippers by bed,housecoat over door,keys to car,apt. on hooks on back of exit kitchen door,cane on hook on door,cell phone charged and in purse,glasses, meds and a towel in case there is smoke.

I keep it in a green knitting tote,very easy to see by door. Been here in Senior building 2 months. evacuated x2 already. Burned food on 3rd floor. Both during day, hair was done, but in other apt. bldg. BIG FIRE! caused by wires frayed under rug, flames shooting out of windows. this was late in evening. FEAR IS A TERRIBLE THING! In this building, we have sprinklers everywhere in our apts. Plus,

I have a reasonable accommodation and they installed a fire horn and strobe lite. Glad you are able to get cat, mine runs, I have carry case but forget it, she goes to the place under the bed and I am unable to get her. I have to leave without her. I feel terrible about that, but as you know, time is of the essence, get out fast! Grami Fran

Deelie, thank you for that. I guess it hit home to me, as I too live in a second floor apartment, a block of 1o, but only 2 floors high. We have never had a fire emergency here, but I do have a mental fire escape plan. I have a house share person, His bedroom opens onto a balcony, from which one could get through a window, on to the balcony and down the stairs outside. My room has no balcony, just a sheer drop 2 floors. I do keep my purse and keys near my bed. I have two cats, so of course they would be a priority as well.

We've always had what we call our "Tornado suitcase"--packed just in case the worst happens--which includes our medications, important papers, extra clothes, personal care items, and the manual for our NOAA weather alert radio.

In addition, we keep our purses by the door, and also get our clothes ready the night before. And I keep all my computer data in a case (CD's, flash drives), so that our files are easy to pick up and take along, just in case.

This way, we're ready to run at a moment's notice in case of a tornado, fire, etc.

Grammi Fran -- To keep your kitty from hiding under the bed, you might want to use blankets or towels to block access to that area. Storage bins are also a good bet, provided Kitty can't squeeze between them. :-)

I am glad that you got out safely. Thank you for reminding all of us to plan. I was thinking the other night I put my shorts in the washing machine and thought umm now only in undies and t shirt maybe I should pull out another pair of shorts or pants to hang on my doorknob but I was to sleepy to do so.

Tonight I will do so after putting a hook on the door and have my purse ready for quick exit and a leash for doggie hanging on the hook too. I have his normal leash in living room but this would be the go to place. Thank you for reminding us. hope your kitty was not to traumatized. ^..^=

house fire
Making a Fire Escape Plan for Your Family
Home and Garden Emergency FireOctober 1, 2008
LIttle BOy Looking in the Mirror at his Fire Fighter Costume
Making a Fire Fighter Costume
Sewing Machine
Bobbin Case Keeps Falling Out of a Sewing Machine
Reuse Placemats as an iPad Case
Making An iPad Case
Creating a Business Plan for a Small Business, A handwritten business plan on paper.
Creating a Business Plan for a Small Business
🎄