Make Car Repairs to Save Car Payments

Put new engines, water pumps, etc. in that old car. It saves 1000's a year without that new car payment.

By Anne from Fernley, NV

Plus, you don't have to worry about your car being recalled a week after you bought it, either....

Well if the repairs are not budget busting it better to make the repairs but for larger repairs more it is cost effective to trade for another car. It does not have to be a new car. I bought my last new car in 1997. I drove it 250,000 miles. I always kept it in top shape but at that mileage everything seemed to go at once. It just wore out and would be very expensive to repair so with the money I would have spent on repairs to the old car I bought a program car a couple of years old with 20,000 miles for a lot less than a new car.

Agree! they say, "The cheapest car you can drive is the one you're already driving." And now with celphones I am not afraid of being stranded. Even a $2000 repair is cheaper than $32,000 in new car payments. My plan is to get 20 years out of my pickup truck, only five to go.

My 20 year old Tempo which I have had to put quite a bit of money into over the years is a war horse. Ironically my newer car is in the shop and the Tempo keeps going. This isn't the first time. What I pay in repairs is so much less that car payments.

My rule of thumb is, as long as the repairs per year cost less than car payments I repair. If the repairs continually exceed the car payment I replace. My car is 12 years old, paid off several years ago and the repairs so far this year are around $2000. I do not include regular maintenance in this # such as new tires, oil changes, filters, etc. I figure the vehicle I would like to purchase is going to run about $225 a month so I will not be getting a newer vehicle this year!

Consumer Advice Cars Helpful HintsJuly 25, 2008
Veterinarian taking a blood sample from a cat.
Finding a Veterinarian That Accepts Payments
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
Electric Typewriter
Repairing an Electric Typewriter
Man Working on Repairing a Car
Saving Money on Car Repairs