Clothing StainsCleaning

Hand Knit Christening Outfit Has Yellowed

I have a 32 year old, hand knit, white baby christening outfit that has some yellowing spots. Is there anyway to restore to it's original white state? I have tried Woolite wash and it has not removed the yellowing.

By Mary Ann from Orlando, FL

The very best product on the market is oxy clean powder. It is safe for colors and if you follow the directions you will be amazed. It may take a little longer than printed on the package, but it is worth a try.

Pros would use Orvus.

I've had no luck at all with Oxyclean, can't figure what all the excitement is over it.

I use water softener to whiten whites. I get a soap bucket/dish pan and put a small handful of water softener in it, fill it with water, agitate it until most of the water softener is desolved, then add the garment or item of fabric. let it sit for up to an hour, remove and rinse. the water will be yellow from the stain removal, discard it anywhere you don't want weeds.

I had my christening dress, 60 years old, hand embroidered by my Mom with tatted edges, on cotton lawn fabric. It had yellowed over the years. I soaked it in Oxyclean - it took about a week - and it was pristine for my granddaughter's baptism. I am sorry Oxyclean didn't work for some of you but it's been great for me. I also salvaged a stained antique quilt and use Oxyclean regularly on my white dishtowels. I soak everything for a week - 1/2 cup Oxyclean to 3 gallons of very warm water. I always use the brand name one.