WindowsHome Improvement

Moisture In Double Glazed Windows

Can you get the moisture out of leaking double glazed windows?

Rae Ann from Templeton, CA

I don't think that you can. If there's moisture in between the panes it means there's a leak in the seal of them. You can either live with it or replace the whole window.

Double pane windows contain a gas to keep temperature regulated. If moisture or lime is in between the panes then the seal is broken. You can only replace the windows in this case if you want the true economic benefits of the window glass. However, double pane glass does keep the temperature regulated without the gas, but just not as much. To clean, you have to remove the factory gasket, remove the pane of glass, clean with any glass cleaner, set the glass back in place, and reseal both exterior edges of the glass. Exterior window caulk from a home supply will work. If you leave something between the glass (dust) it is there to stay. I'll bet it's the bathroom that is your biggest problem with moisture (now you have scale in between the glass). The temperature/moisture changes in the bathroom is what causes the problem. If you are planning on having windows installed make sure you have a good warranty for this problem.

I've got the very same problem for the second time.

When I had money for repairs years ago, I was amazed at how cheap it was for someone to COME TO THE HOME TO REPLACE THE DOOR GLASS! I hope I'm remembering correctly to quote about $65. But it could be much higher now and I don't have an extra dime, even if all I had to pay for was the poor repairman's gasoline! lol So, I just live with the foggy door, keeping it cleaned but wishfully thinking that one day I'll have it fresh again, magically. It's

definitely a leak since it has various moisture patterns inside, but luckily no mold or discoloration.

If I get more information, I'll notify you. God bless you. : )

My bathroom constantly fogs up and causes condensation that settles at the base of the double glazed windows. I simply applied some clear caulking around the window. Though the condensation still settles, it does not get into the corners where the glass fits. I am not yet aware of problems associated with this quick fix, but it helps for now.

There is a process to remove moisture in dual-pane windows . Visit www.TheGlassGuru.com . A video explains the process . It costs a lot cheaper than replacement .

There is actually a way to remove the moisture from in between the glass panes without having to replace the glass or the whole window. Check to see if there's a Glass Guru in your area. www. theglassguru. com

I fixed my own windows with a kit from defogkits.com I got quoted $1400 for my entire house by a professional. I now have clear windows and it was a breeze.