What Type of Paint is Best to Use Over Wallpaper?

Do you use an oil base paint or latex when painting over wallpaper?

By Bonnie from Cedar Rapids, IA

Best Answer

Use an oil primer with a latex paint topcoat. The use of the oil primer is generally recommended because the wallpaper paste is a waterborne product so using a latex could lift the paper which can lead to a bigger problem. They make several products now days that are quick dry oils to speed up the process (at Sherwin-Williams it is the multipurpose oil primer, dry time 1Hr). Then once the surface is secure the latex is a more friendly topcoat.

I used latex (not oil) and I had no problems. It's been awhile and I think I used a primer but nothing oil. I've never used oil paint. I know it's been over 2 years since I painted over wallpaper in my kitchen and bath and it's never peeled.

I agree with bac but, think of the next person who might want to remove it. It is nearly impossible when you paint over it with oil paint. I was crazy enough to strip a whole stairwell and hall that had oil paint over wallpaper and I did not have good words to say about the former owner.

Emulsion paint. We get it in matte or satin finish.

I asked my husband, who is a professionally trained union painter for more than 35 years. He agrees with Bac.