Cleaning With Baking Soda

contest winner icon

I have started keeping a clean glass Parmesan cheese dispenser by my bathroom and kitchen sink filled with baking soda. Great for a quick scrub for the sink, etc. I also sprinkle it on my toothpaste and sprinkle into my facial cleanser before I apply it (goodbye expensive exfoliators!). I also sprinkle a bit at the bottom of my wicker hamper and trash can to absorb odors. In the kitchen I also use it to clean cutting boards and my garbage disposal.

As you can see, I chose to decorate mine with a vintage decal (it is a 4-C Parmesan jar, by the way, but any large holed jar would work). You can snazz it up however you like to fit your own decor! If you want to put a sticker on it - there are so many gorgeous ones in the scrapbooking department, just put a bit of clear packing tape over it to keep the water out. Not bad for a free jar, and good golly Miss Molly, baking soda is about 50 cents, and non-toxic.

By Carol

Baking soda mixed with your shampoo will also give your hair a really good cleaning, I'm told it is what some hairdressers use to remove product buildup on hair. You can also use it with vinegar to help keep your drains clear. I've found that used as a paste it helps to take the sting out of black fly bites too.

Thanks for sharing, good luck.

What a great idea, I just have to watch for a glass jar with a cap with large holes. Thanks for sharingl

Super suggestion and I love the jar. Baking soda is one of the true miracle products we have on this planet besides chocolate.

Thanks for the great tip! I will pick up a couple of jars at Walmart. I already have a couple but I use them for the cheese & red peppers for pizza.

I love your dispenser! and I always buy at least 6 boxes of the baking soda when I go to Aldi's. I use it in everything!! :) My grandma used it for an antacid reducer.

I use baking soda on stuck on food in pots and pans. Before you sit down to eat, cover stuck on food with water, then add baking soda. Let it sit while you eat. By the time you're ready to do dishes, it washes right off.

Cute idea! I use baking soda quite a bit and buy it in the 12 lb size at Sam's Club. I like to have plenty of it to last a while! I really like to use it in the laundry. It sure makes whites whiter and brighter! It's so cheap and has so many great purposes. I can't imagine not buying it. It can take the place of other more costly cleaning & health aid products.

I wanted to add that this post made me remember that I had saved and washed a plastic parmesan cheese container with the dual opening lid. I filled it with baking soda and now keep under the sink. It is just wonderful to spinkle in wetted down stainless steel sink, let sit a while and then wipe and rinse. it makes it so sparkly and clean and deodorizes too and I'm sure it helps the drains too!

This is a great idea. I use my empty Parmesan cheese jars for powdered coffee creamer by my coffee pot and another one for the sugar. Thank you for the baking soda idea, especially the facial scrub one.