Get Your Money's Worth When Buying Nuts and Produce

I keep a bowl of cracked pecans and a dish of candies beside the door of where I use my laptop so it's easy to grab a snack-on-the-go.

Be aware though: all pecans are not created equal! I got a bag late last year and didn't notice until I got them home and in my hand how small they were. I was bothered by the fact that I would have to "work more for less" pecans!

I went to another store farther east of my home and found the pecans were almost twice the size I had bought before! I would do the same amount of work I would do for smaller pecan but have more nut meat as a result!

Another suggestion from way back and I don't know where it came from is to weigh your pre-sacked produce that you buy "by the bag". Some 5 pound sacks of potatoes (other fruit/vegetables) weigh less than others and some are more!

By Melody_yesterday

I think that nuts are purposely hard to crack and take some time to get into. It keeps us from eating too many. Kind of like nature's way of putting us on a diet so we don't gain weight. As for the small pecans, where I live, they are considered to be some of the best you can get. Much more flavorful than their larger cousins.

Susanmajp is 100% right. There are giant pecans, probably not found in the stores, but they have little flavor. Then there are the smaller varieties that have the slightly harder shells, but awesome flavor. So you kind of get what you are willing to work for. Living in south Alabama, we have had access to as many as 6 and 7 different varieties on one property, but would head for one or two types, for either eating out of hand, or using in cooking, as in cookies, etc., so none are bad, but some are better.

Photos FoodFebruary 19, 2010
Cracked Pistachio Nuts
Freezing Pistachio Nuts
A pile of shelled pine nuts
Recipes Using Pine Nuts
A bag full of fresh produce.
Saving Money on Produce
A girl holding a basket full of vegetables.
Sharing Garden Produce
🎄
🍂