Lawn Mower Carburetor Leaks Gas

By CJ Santee 1

My 17 hp Briggs and Stratton lawn tractor floods upon initial startup. The gas will gush from the top of the carburetor. I have to blow out with shop air to get started. Once you get it going, it will run good rest of day.

By CJ Santee

Filter Sort

By Daniel Garza 1 1 Flag

Could be the float or the needle that allows the fuel to come down is stuck open. Sometimes the float has a pin hole leak and it fills up inside with gas and opens the needle which allows all the fuel to come in the carb. The seat if it's worn down or dirty will not allow the fuel to shut off so it continues to flow.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Question: Lawn Mower Carburetor Leaks

Can a person replace the rubber "o" ring where the float valve goes in to shut off gas flow?

By Clifford

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Carburetor Spraying Gas While Engine Running

I have John Deere lawn tractor that has a 16 hp V-Twin engine. It has a manual choke. When I crank the mower, the mower runs fine, but gas sprays from the choke side of the carb. I have replaced the needle, cleaned the carb, but it still has the problem. The float is OK. Does any one have any ideas?

By James B

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Lawn Mower Carburetor Leaks Gas

My lawn mower is Craftsman 2 in one, Mulcher/Bagger, 3.5HP 20 Inch Cut. Model #: 917-383270 S/N: 068726.

I cleaned the carburetor and reassembled it. Then the mower started and I let it run for about 10 minutes. But after I stopped it, I found a lot gas flowed out from the air filter area. I guess the reason is that I did not reassemble the float and needle correctly. I don't know how to make it good. I need help. Thanks.

Jerry

Feedback:

RE: Lawn Mower Carburetor Leaks Gas

You had a bad gasket or did not reassemble correctly.

For one make sure it had a new carburetor kit and made sure the two halves went together precisely. Remember to tighten the screws not individually, but slowly around like a diagonal way until all are secure, slowly. Give each screw time. Sounds silly, but it works.

If you did all of the above your needle is probably sticking. If its a new carburetor kit and you did all of the above tap on it hard with a big screw-driver. If a new kit, re-do the above if not get a new kit. If just cleaning remember the tightening procedure.

If it's a lot of fuel the needle is sticking to the seat. Buy a new one for 15 bucks. Try the above first.

A little time goes a long way.

BeeCee (04/24/2008)

By beecee

I have a Craftsman Riding mower LT1000, 42 in. cut, 2007 model. It is leaking gas into the bowl where the carburetor is. The gasket is sealing, it's not leaking out there.

I purchased a new "needle" and it is still leaking. I had asked them to order needle and seat, but they only ordered the needle. Do you think it could be the seat I need now?

By bren_bama

Feedback:

RE: Lawn Mower Carburetor Leaks Gas

My guess its not the needle or the seat. It is more likely to be a faulty float. Remove the float and shake it, if it has fluid in it you need a new one. Otherwise the float setting is incorrect and it needs adjusting. You can check whether the needle is shutting off by hooking up a piece of tubing and blowing and at the same time pushing up the needle. It should close; just check the float would be my thinking.

rustyreks (09/26/2009)

By rustyreks

Lawn Mower Carburetor
Repairing a Lawn Mower Carburetor
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersJune 15, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Lawn Mower Carburetor
Repairing a Lawn Mower Carburetor
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Mowing With Weed Wacker
Mowing a Lawn Without a Mower
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:44:36 PM on 10.0.1.117 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsAnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings