Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Lawn Mower Carburetor Leaks Gas

My 17 hp Briggs and Stratton lawn tractor floods upon initial startup. The gas will gush from the top of the carburetor. I have to blow out with shop air to get started. Once you get it going, it will run good rest of day.

By CJ Santee

By Daniel Garza [1]06/17/2010

Could be the float or the needle that allows the fuel to come down is stuck open. Sometimes the float has a pin hole leak and it fills up inside with gas and opens the needle which allows all the fuel to come in the carb. The seat if it's worn down or dirty will not allow the fuel to shut off so it continues to flow.

Here are questions related to Lawn Mower Carburetor Leaks Gas.

Question: Lawn Mower Carburetor Leaks

Can a person replace the rubber "o" ring where the float valve goes in to shut off gas flow?

By Clifford

Question: Carburetor Spraying Gas While Engine Running

I have John Deere lawn tractor that has a 16 hp V-Twin engine. It has a manual choke. When I crank the mower, the mower runs fine, but gas sprays from the choke side of the carb. I have replaced the needle, cleaned the carb, but it still has the problem. The float is OK. Does any one have any ideas?

By James B

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Lawn Mower Carburetor Leaks Gas

My lawn mower is Craftsman 2 in one, Mulcher/Bagger, 3.5HP 20 Inch Cut. Model #: 917-383270 S/N: 068726.

I cleaned the carburetor and reassembled it. Then the mower started and I let it run for about 10 minutes. But after I stopped it, I found a lot gas flowed out from the air filter area. I guess the reason is that I did not reassemble the float and needle correctly. I don't know how to make it good. I need help. Thanks.

Jerry

RE: Lawn Mower Carburetor Leaks Gas

You had a bad gasket or did not reassemble correctly. For one make sure it had a new carburetor kit and made sure the two halves went together precisely. Remember to tighten the screws not individually, but slowly around like a diagonal way until all are secure, slowly. Give each screw time. Sounds silly, but it works.

If you did all of the above your needle is probably sticking. If its a new carburetor kit and you did all of the above tap on it hard with a big screw-driver. If a new kit, re-do the above if not get a new kit. If just cleaning remember the tightening procedure.

If it's a lot of fuel the needle is sticking to the seat. Buy a new one for 15 bucks. Try the above first. A little time goes a long way.

BeeCee (04/24/2008)

By beecee

I have a Craftsman Riding mower LT1000, 42 in. cut, 2007 model. It is leaking gas into the bowl where the carburetor is. The gasket is sealing, it's not leaking out there.

I purchased a new "needle" and it is still leaking. I had asked them to order needle and seat, but they only ordered the needle. Do you think it could be the seat I need now?

By bren_bama

RE: Lawn Mower Carburetor Leaks Gas

My guess its not the needle or the seat. It is more likely to be a faulty float. Remove the float and shake it, if it has fluid in it you need a new one. Otherwise the float setting is incorrect and it needs adjusting. You can check whether the needle is shutting off by hooking up a piece of tubing and blowing and at the same time pushing up the needle. It should close; just check the float would be my thinking.

rustyreks (09/26/2009)

By rustyreks