When Will My Hydrangeas Bloom?

When will my hydrangeas bloom? Hardiness Zone: 6a Don from Archbold, OH

Answers

I planted my hydrangea tree last year. I bought it from a place where plants can be purchased for pennies on the dollar compared to nursery prices. The down fall on buying like this is the plants are dormant. Almost no root, and need to be rinsed well and brought back to life.

Any way I planted it in a large well drained pot last year. Finally in mid to late Augast this year it started blooming. I transplanted it in the ground tonight. The trick to growing in pots over the winter is "Good Drainage"

with out it your plants roots rot out. I am in growing zone 5a.

Good Luck with your hydrangeas.

September 24, 2008 Flag

Question:

How long before a hydrangea blooms? I bought Nikko Blue hydrangeas from BJ's Wholesale Club. I am guessing they won't be big enough to

bloom this year but I was wondering if it was correct to expect them
to have some flowering action next summer? Your advice is appreciated.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Dawnne from Indian Land, SC

Answer:

Hi Dawnne,

How soon before your Nikko Blue hydrangea blooms depends on how long it takes its roots to become well established. Under ideal conditions, plants may bloom as young as two years of age. Plants are like people, each one is a unique individual, so yours will bloom when it's ready.

Here are some growing tips for Nikko Blue. By creating the ideal conditions for your hydrangea, you can definitely speed the process of becoming established along.

Big leaf hydrangeas like your Nikko Blue grow best in nutrient-rich well-drained soil when given some morning sun and afternoon shade. Apply a diluted (1/2 strength) all-purpose fertilizer (10-10-10) three times during your active growing season (March, May and July). "Big leaves" suggests more rapid water loss. Like their name suggests, hydrangeas need plenty of water and will suffer in hot, dry weather, so water them frequently (at least once a week) during hot weather.

Because this type of hydrangea blooms on old wood (last year's growth) they should be pruned immediately after flowering so they have time to set buds for the following year. Prune too late and you risk cutting off next year's flowers. Another thing to watch for is a late freeze in the spring, which can damage new leaves and developing buds and result in more root growth and less (or no) flowers that season.

Good luck!

Ellen

Answers:

Home and Garden Gardening FlowersSeptember 24, 2008
Hydrangeas
Dividing Hydrangeas
Growing Hydrangeas Inside
Growing Hydrangeas Inside
Propagating Hydrangeas
Propagating Hydrangeas
Photo of a purple Hydrangea.
Changing the Color of Hydrangeas
🎄
🍂