Heating Oil Smell on Luggage

My house uses heating oil to heat the water and house. They came out to service the furnace which is in the same room as the laundry room. We store our luggage and backpacks down there as well. After the company serviced the furnace, all our backpacks and luggage smell like heating oil (strong gasoline odor). It also seems like there is a greasy film on our stuff. We've tried washing everything, but can't figure out how to get the smell out. Please help. We are desperately seeking guidance.

Stumped from Baltimore, MD

Hello, I had a similar situation this past summer (though not exactly) ... but hopefully my solution to my problem will help with yours. I purcahsed a large set of luggage for an unbelievable price from a large chain store and when bringing it home it had that "direct from factory/ sitting in a warehouse" scent. Instead of washing it I opened up each and every piece and half-filled it with kitty littler and then sealed it back up. After two to three days of being closed I put in a fresh layer of kitty litter (which may or may not be necessary) and flipped the bag over so that the top was now the bottom. I put dryer sheets in all the pockets and nooks and crannies and for the outside I febrezed the heck out of it every chance I got!! The whole time I had the bags on a screened in porch hoping the cool nights would assist ... but definitely make sure its away from cats-they might think its their new commode!HAHA. Best of luck and let me know if you have success --- MATT

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJune 11, 2006
Cleaning Luggage
Homemade Luggage Tag With Pins
Homemade Luggage Tags
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
Wood Burning Stove
Heating with Wood