Recommendations for Platform Beds

My husband and I are looking for a platform bed. Does anyone has a good suggestion? Where can we find a good deal on a good quality platform bed? Thanks.

Peggy from Mcallen, TX

I have seen some cute ones on walmart.com. There are reviews so you can judge for yourself. I don't know if there is an ikea where you live but they also have them or ikea.com.

Sometimes people just plain want to get RID of a frame for a water bed. They get tired of it, or the mattress leaks, or whatever....Free for just hauling it off.

You'd be surprised what people want to give away!!

And what people are asking for too.

Do you have "Free Cycle" in your town ?

(You can check the list and see if yours is there, then your state, Subscribe) Free Cycle is full of things that people don't want anymore. Just as it says, it's Free.And they are yours if you tell'em you want it, and agree to pick it up when they tell you to.

And of course, there is also "Craig's List." It isn't all Free tho. There is a category of " Wanted", you list what you want. People "talk" thru the Craig's List e-mail. And there is a "Free" category too.

But, a platform for your bed isn't a difficult thing to build. There is probably a How-To that you can Google,and find.

A VERY INEXPENSIVE PLATFORM BED

When I was still in grade school, my parents put their mattress on plywood that was laid on travel trunks. This may sound cheap, but they slept on it for years.

Mom like it because she was able to store things underneath the slipcovers. We used to play hide and go seek.

Dad did drill some holes in the board for air circulation. We lived in Japan, and the moisture gets so bad, you end up having to clean clothes that are in the closet. THINGS GROW MOLD.

IKEA has some really nice ones for less than $300.

We bought our bed from llbean.com, it comes in several flat pack boxes that are shipped FedEx. I put it together myself and have slept on it for over 3 years.

Fake one like we did. I wanted one too but couldn't afford it. So we took 2x12's sanded, stained to match bedroom furniture, put the box spring on the floor and boxed it in. Mattress on top no headboard. Looks like the pretties you see in the magazines. I also wanted Asian furniture like the Mino collection which cost about 2500.00 for livingroom set. We made a couch,settee and two chairs for under 300.00 which included all materials. We reused our old cushions and I sewed covers for them. This stuff is stout and can withstand active children and all the cushion are removable to be washed.

babbles5,

We'd love to see photos of the furniture you've crafted. :)

Marz