Cat Pee Doesn't Dry?

By Charlene 1

My daughter is moving out of an apartment and the management company tells her they have a device that will detect cat pee in the carpet because cat pee doesn't dry - has ANYONE heard of this before? I've contacted the company that sells this device - it is actually used to detect moisture from water damage, water, etc. nothing about cat pee, and am awaiting a response from them. I cannot find anywhere on the internet if cat pee truly does not dry - I need to find out how they can use this as a defense before we do the walk through.

Charob

Showing: Answers Sort

By Lisa Trudeau 35 Flag

I looked for an answer, and I'm pretty sure cat pee dries, but I think the reason they said this is because if a pet pees somewhere, they usually pee in the same place over and over again, which would mean it is never dry in that area. All you need to determine cat pee is a black light. Cat pee glows.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Any type of urine stain on a carpet that has not been cleaned with an enzyme cleaner CAN BE detected with a black light. I am not if the device you mentioned can be used, but i do know that we use the black light method when we are training new puppies as sometimes you can miss where they go.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kathleen Bennett 68 Flag

We have a cat who was born with deformed front paws. Unfortunately, he doesn't like using a litter box because of this. Also unfortunately, my husband doesn't like picking up his dirty clothes. The combination means that my husband's pile of dirty clothes often become our cat's litter box. Although a pile of clothing isn't as thick or absorbent as carpeting (which we don't have), I can guarantee you that peed on clothes definitely do dry! I would think the black light method (which is true) would be more effective at detecting old urine.

Good luck with your walk through,

Kathy

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Up, it's a liquid... and not a thick one at that. Whoever told your daughter that is an absolute twit. Have her ask them if they ever learned about a little thing called "Evaporation."

As to any cat damage, yes a good enzyme cleaner (I've had better luck with those at cleaning supplies) and a Rug Doctor will do the trick. If you can get a Bissell, even better, since it will let you put down the solution and you can let the enzymes sit and work, without immediately sucking them back up again. If the carpet is REALLY bad, I'd let it set over night at least.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Also, if there is hard wood floor under your daughter's carpeting, cat pee ruins it. And if there are baseboard heaters, the smell gets sucked in. I had to pay a previous landlord to repair the damage.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Judy 3 Flag

Cat pee does dry, however it is made up of some chemicals that glow under a black light. A black lightbulb that can fit into any regular table lamp can be found at Wal-Mart or other stores - especially this time of year. The glowing pee sounds like a Halloween story, but I actually learned it in college in one of my Veterinary Technology classes.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Judy 3 Flag

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jill 2 52 Flag

You can get urine neautralizer at janitor supply places. It will make the smell go away, then shampoo the rugs well. Of course cat pee dries. They just want your security money instead of returning it. I bought a house from a vet that had ten cats & dogs living there, what a stink! I stripped the carpets, killed the fleas and neautralized the floors. Just like new again.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Susan Bergeron 4 Flag

Cat pee does dry and smell terrible--- there are some products on the market that will eliminate the odors if they are not soaked through carpet. I had to clean all my upholstered chairs after I moved. My male didn't like the upsets and decided to claim his territory. Doesn't smell like that now. Carpet is another matter because the padding soaks it up and keeps the smell.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

We bought a house thar sat for at least 8 mos. and they had a cat that peed in a corner. My husband had to rip the wall out because we tried everything to remove the smell and it wouldn't go away. Low and behold the wall and wood were STILL WET!!!!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Cat pee does dry. It can be detected using a blacklight. Of course, if you get cat pee that has dried in a carpet (for instance) wet again, it'll stink to high heaven! I had this happen to me about 10 years ago. I found a product at the pet supply called "Nature's Miracle" & it specifically attacks the dried cat pee & chemically breaks it down & gets rid of it. However, the stink will get worse for a day or two while it does it's job, but it's well worth it. Cheaper than replacing a carpet, for sure.

Good Luck!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Cat pee dries but the urine salts are very absorbant. The salts absorb moisture from humidity in the air. That moisture can be detected with a moisture sensor.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

this sounds like a scam to me, just do the walk thru and take an empty spray bottle, preferably new and in a sealed store bought package, and a video camera. Tape the walk thru under the disguise that you want proof of how you are leaving the apartment, (a good idea for any one that rents) when they "detect" urin simply open you spray bottle and walk to the sink, fill it with ordinary water walk over to a different spot on the carpet and mist it, have them check this freashly sprayed area, when this device says that is urine, politly ask them to prove the first spot was not just water, they should have quite a hard time doing so if you are savy with your words, not to mention you'll have one heck of a funny video.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Yes, cat pee DOES dry... it just has an oily texture to it that does leave a residue unless cleaned properly.

The only device that would be able to differentiate cat pee from other substances would be a blacklight.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Cat pee does indeed dry - but under a black light it will show (glow). But so won't spit, blood and other bodily fluids. Even though the stain looks gone.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I'd suggest Anti Icky Poo, or other products that contain bacteria (not just enzymes). The bacteria in Anti Icky Poo is purportedly hardier than the other brands such that it can withstand some disinfectants, not a problem unless you tried disinfectants first. The bacteria will spread to follow its food source (the cat pee, wherever it managed to soak) until it has been consumed. It might temporarily stink worse until the bacteria have finished. The phosphorus salts in the urine are not affected, and will still show under black light. But they can be removed from the surface by conventional shampooing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

cat on carpet
Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet
Previous
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Pee Pee Cone
Making Pee Pee Cones
cat on carpet
Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 12:04:01 AM on 10.0.1.208 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings