Frugal Trick or Treating
I don't get a whole lot of kids at my house for Halloween but rest assured I am fully prepared! :) There are a few things you can do to save money on candy:
- Purchase discounted candy the night of Halloween (usually after dinner the stores put candy on sale) or when Halloween is officially over. Candy keeps a long time so you can usually hold onto it till the following year.
- Buy one gigantic bag of candy at a discount store instead of getting lots of small bags of different items. I usually get a HUGE bag of mixed candy for about $4 and I can make a lot of goodie bags with this.
- Look around your house to see if you have any candy or chocolate. Last year I realized I had some wrapped chocolate pieces I didn't eat, as well as some extra candy that was given to me at one time. I just took it out and used them to add to make extra goodie bags. My husband also had bought some chewing gum he disliked so I told him to hand it over and I put the wrapped individual pieces in goodie bags :)
- If you are having a kiddie Halloween party at your house, forget about candy bags as I am sure the kids will get enough by trick or treating! Make candy apples and/or cupcakes as a treat instead.
- Sometimes I get teenagers trick or treating coming to my door, so one year I decided to put together Bath and Body gift bags for any teen who wanted one instead of candy. I collected some pretty awesome funky bath and body stuff, put about 5 items in a paper bag (example:mini body lotion, mini shower gel, mini mud mask, Tea light and nail polish). These bags did not cost me anything as they were all freebies I had received. The teens loved them though some did still want the candy. :)
By Lisa from Halifax
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Related Content(article continues below)
In This Guide
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on February 15, 2017 at 1:28:53 AM on 10.0.0.78 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us