Frugal Trick or Treating

I don't get a whole lot of kids at my house for Halloween but rest assured I am fully prepared! :) There are a few things you can do to save money on candy:

• Purchase discounted candy the night of Halloween (usually after dinner the stores put candy on sale) or when Halloween is officially over. Candy keeps a long time so you can usually hold onto it till the following year.
  • Buy one gigantic bag of candy at a discount store instead of getting lots of small bags of different items. I usually get a HUGE bag of mixed candy for about $4 and I can make a lot of goodie bags with this.
  • Look around your house to see if you have any candy or chocolate. Last year I realized I had some wrapped chocolate pieces I didn't eat, as well as some extra candy that was given to me at one time. I just took it out and used them to add to make extra goodie bags. My husband also had bought some chewing gum he disliked so I told him to hand it over and I put the wrapped individual pieces in goodie bags :)
  • Ad

• If you are having a kiddie Halloween party at your house, forget about candy bags as I am sure the kids will get enough by trick or treating! Make candy apples and/or cupcakes as a treat instead.
  • Sometimes I get teenagers trick or treating coming to my door, so one year I decided to put together Bath and Body gift bags for any teen who wanted one instead of candy. I collected some pretty awesome funky bath and body stuff, put about 5 items in a paper bag (example:mini body lotion, mini shower gel, mini mud mask, Tea light and nail polish). These bags did not cost me anything as they were all freebies I had received. The teens loved them though some did still want the candy. :)

Happy Halloween!

By Lisa from Halifax

Halloween Taffy and Candy Corn

A big bowl of Halloween candy.
Saving Money on Halloween Candy
Holidays and Parties Halloween AdviceOctober 15, 2008
Halloween Hot Dog Fingers
Halloween Hot Dog Fingers
Halloween Wedding Ideas
Halloween Wedding Ideas
Flapper Woman With Martini
Making a Flapper (1920s) Costume
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living