HealthDogs

Is Broccoli Good Or Bad For Dogs?

I'm wondering about other people's experience with feeding their dog broccoli. I was just preparing dinner and decided to give our dog Honey a couple of pieces. As soon as I gave it to her, I was immediately concerned that I was feeding her something off the toxic list. Of course, she ate them immediately so taking them away wasn't much of an option. I searched online and it looked like it was a very mild toxin so it would have to be a lot of broccoli to cross over from good to bad.

I believe everything in moderation and I would love to vary her diet. I don't feed her grapes or chocolate, but she gets the occasional leftover beef stew even if it has some onions and garlic. She has never liked carrots, unless they are cooked with meat. We limit her "people" food like cheese and hot dogs as occasional treats. She is a medium dog (Chow Chow) over 50 pounds and in good health.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm interested to hear what advice you will have for me.

By Jessica from Hillsboro, OR

http://www.pete  661&aid=1030 I printed and kept this in the folder that I keep for each dog, and put a copy on my fridge, so other family members won't give them these. I also keep in each folder a copy of pedigrees (for the ones that have them), shot records, etc, just in case.

Veggies are good for dogs too!

I've never had a problem with broccoli other than noxious dog gas. Most premium dog foods include vegetables. My vet said that vegetables and leftover stew were great for dogs.

Thanks fatboyslimsmom, the list didn't include broccoli so I think I'm safe. :)

I agree table scraps and leftover food in moderation with a good brand of dog food.

Many years ago my mother worked for a lady that just gave her dogs leftovers, and cooked special meals for them. Her dogs always acquired health problems once they were around 5 years. She loved her dogs very much, and paid dearly for them and for her vet bills. The dogs always died young, from some sort of kidney or liver or pancreas problems.

My mother used to say she killed the dogs with kindness. She only wanted the best for her dogs, but in the end she always over did the cooking the feeding. She never believed that she was the source of the dog's problems even though her husband, friends, and vet told her so.

There is no moral to this true story. Moderation and balance is the key along with exercise. This will give you happy and healthy pets. This does not mean your pet may never have health problems but as least one can be sure they are not the cause of it.

When my dog was diagnosed with dangerously high triglycerides, broccoli became a staple in her diet and this continued when she was diagnosed with cancer. She loved it, never had any problems and helped her health tremendously.

Broccoli is fine. Grocerystore pet food is NOT fine. Most Grocery store pet food is allergy city along with very bad nutrition. They are even using dead pets from "shelters" in your pets food. The euthanasia poison does not cook off. Almost all grocery store pet food main ingredient is corn. Very poor nutrition. Please search internet for decent foods. Cooking by the big potful is super and a lot less expensive. Some raw diet is great. Spoon of plain yogurt i like ice cream to them. Some good oils need included. Fish oil, flax, coconut. Evo dry kibble and their canned is great. Fruits even but no grapes or raisins. That can kill in large amounts. Some dogs can die with as little as 7 raisins. Check internet for decent diets you make up yourself. Give your dog a better life. Study anti-vaccine for ingredients in the poisons they are pushing. Save your dogs immune system. Better friend you will never have. Tried and true.

Brocolli is very bad for dogs, please do not feed brocolli to your dogs. I cannot tell you how much it takes to affect a dog, but here is the info: Broccoli can be toxic to dogs in high quantities because of isothiocyanates in the plant. Isothiocyanates can cause gastrointestinal irritation and digestive disruption. You should restrict broccoli to no more than 10 percent of your dog's daily nutritional intake.

Grapes are very , very bad, and raisins, of course, also. Chocolate is awful for them. Baking Chocolate perhaps the worst. The main thing to do is to make sure your dog food has real meat listed in the first four ingredients. Meat by products do not constitute real meat.

Here is some more info on broccoli:

Read more: Safe Vegetables for Dogs | eHow.com http://www.ehow  ml#ixzz1VyKBrxRJ

Blessings,

Robyn

Very interesting information. It sounds like I should keep it to an occasional treat. 10% of her diet would be a couple of heads a week. I wouldn't ever feed her that much that, I need to save some of those veggies for my boys. :)