Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor

I recently bought a house and I am turning the garage into a workshop. There is a pretty thick oil and grease buildup where the cars were parked and apparently worked on. I have cleaned up much of the surface grease but I still have large stains and oil residue. Anyone dealt with this before? I want to get it as clean as possible. Any tips would be appreciated.

By Joe

I have heard from many sources that kitty litter put on the oil and grease stains will absorb most, if not all of the stains. It is also an environmentally friendly way of dealing with the problem.

Another thing you can do after you try the kitty litter is get the stains wet and then sprinkle some dishwashing detergent on the stains. Rub the detergent into the stain with cleaning brush. Then rinse it with some water. Repeat as necessary.

Another Joe

Also.. Interesting tip on another board says to spray the stains with WD40 before applying kitty litter.

I have read that Coke (the soft drink) is supposed to work. Pour the coke

on stain and let sit overnight. In the morning rinse with soapy water. Some may be surprised but Coca-cola can be used for alot of different remedies.

Do a "uses for Coca Cola" search and you'd be amazed.

Good luck, Jenny in WI.

try dawn dish soap and water and scrub with hard bristle broom and water. My husband works at junk yard and this is what they use to clean up their garage. and its enviromentaly safe too

I had exactly the same problem, I used extra strenghth Era (the liquid detergent) the stain came right off.

try MURATIC ACID from hardware store, thats what masons use.

mix 4 parts water to 1 part acid.

wash off right away, or else the cement will go from white to tan.

Use a power washer before and after if you have one

i removed a bunch of paint soaked into a new garage floor with a whole jug of paint thinner. probably on the eniromentally hazardous side of things, though.

sprinkle carpet room deodorizer on the oil spots, the powder will absorb oil, then rub and clean with cloth.

From my previous experiences and suggestions, my boys say either vinegar solution or clorox should do the job. You may have to repeat a couple times. When you remove the problem, there is a neat sealer at Home Depot. My son rolled the paint and my dil spread the sprinkles right after he rolled. My garage is showroom ready and I plan to make it my workshop and salesroom for paintings/crafts/crocheting/dolls/deco pots, etc.

dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsApril 22, 2004
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet
🎉
🎄