Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Remedies for Ticks on Dogs

Does vinegar and baking soda, which when mixed causes a foaming agent, kill ticks on a dog, or hurt the dog in any way?

By Suzanne from Harrison, AR

By julia03/27/2011

clynnaltemus, I work at a vet hospital, and we have Comfortis come in every once in a while to do a presentation. Unfortunately, Comfortis does not prevent against ticks. It's a flea only preventative. Thankfully they are working on something to use for ticks as well. goodluck!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Remedies for Ticks on Dogs

I have a half Mastiff, half Great Ddane and I can't keep the ticks off her. Any home remedies out there any where?

Thanks!
Mellomom from TN

RE: Remedies for Ticks on Dogs

I suggest using liquid handsoap. Rub it in good around his neck and ears. A cotton ball soaked with liquid hand soap is used to remove ticks. According to reports, it only takes a minute or two of holding the ball on a tick before the tick will release and can be removed on the cotton ball. (06/25/2006)

By nron

RE: Remedies for Ticks on Dogs

If this is an outdoor dog, using cedar chips as its bedding will help keep the fleas and ticks away.

Marla (06/26/2006)

By forgetmenotaromas

RE: Remedies for Ticks on Dogs

I would use Frontline, which is not "homemade", but it will keep the ticks from getting on her in the first place.

Jennifer from northern VA (06/27/2006)

By ILuvDobes

RE: Remedies for Ticks on Dogs

I have been searching for a home remedy for my large dogs. I keep running into the same thing, put a bit of garlic power in their food. (06/28/2006)

By Val

RE: Remedies for Ticks on Dogs

Garlic and brewers yeast in their diet: Diamond Low fat dog food (found in feed stores/Wilco) has the brewer's yeast in it, and my dog has never had one on him, even after running off into the woods for numerous hours! You can also get the brewer's yeast in bulk food sections or in "Natural Food" sections at major supermarkets, and sprinkle it on. My sister says it tastes good on popcorn, but I save it for Charlie!

Also, you may want to consider just keeping them out of your wooded areas. After a problem with ear mites, my dog has been leashed to stay out of thick flora, especially woods and dense shrubs. In our neighborhood, we have a small "hay field" filled with chiggers and fleas. I have not seen one on Charlie or in my house since we've contained him to areas by the road and changed his food. (06/28/2006)

By camo_angels

RE: Remedies for Ticks on Dogs

The tick thing about handsoap does not work. I tried it on my dog. I poured directly onto tick. It was thick and remained where I put it. I waited about three minutes and the two ticks there weren't even bothered. (07/09/2006)

By Paula in GA

RE: Remedies for Ticks on Dogs

Garlic is poisonous to dogs. It's very toxic and it causes serious cases of anemia. Onions as well. Ask a veterinarian.
  • Neem Oil: It's a natural insecticide and has antibacterial and antiseptic proprieties. It also repels mosquitoes which is the leading cause of Heart worms.
  • Organic goat's milk soothes skin from previous flea infestation.
  • Eucalyptus acts as a natural pet deodorizer.

I actually do this remedy on my dogs. I have eight dogs and I'm seriously into organics. I even grow my own herbs. Peace, love, and good luck. (03/03/2007)

By Sway

RE: Remedies for Ticks on Dogs

I have been putting about a half cup of apple vinegar into my 3 large dogs water bowl and have not seen a tick since. Before I was pulling off 4-5 ticks a day off of each one of them. It takes a while for them to adjust to the taste, but once they do then it's worth it. (05/05/2008)

By Rachel

RE: Remedies for Ticks on Dogs

The best thing that worked for my Lab is Frontline plus. Within couple of days it was getting better. I got it online from: http://www.petcarechoice.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.display/product_id/2557.htm. See if it works for you. (01/07/2009)

By red87

RE: Remedies for Ticks and fleas on Dogs

To prevent them, I use Jason's Tea Tree Oil shampoo and/or body wash on my German Shepherd and Lab mix. She's an outdoor dog and gets one or two every now and then, once a week she gets bathed in it! We live in a flea and tick infested type area of Arkansas. (07/25/2009)

By Dayla44

RE: Remedies for Ticks/fleas on Dogs

Garlic is not poisonous to dogs. Go to wiki-answers. Yes, we all know onions are, but garlic is not. Do your homework. Thanks. (10/08/2009)

By liz444

RE: Remedies for Ticks on Dogs

I don't actually have a remedy (currently looking for one), but I do have something to say about Frontline Plus. I used it on my dogs, but the thing about it is it takes up to 2 days to kill ticks. It does not repel them only kills them once they attach to your pet. So if you have ticks in your home or yard it's really not going to help unless you get rid of the ticks in your yard and your home. Even then it still isn't 100% effective.

I actually recommend K9 Advantix, it not only kills the ticks that are on your pet, but actually repels them along with a multitude of other pests. It keeps the ticks from attaching which reduces the chance of your pet getting tick borne diseases. But don't forget, you can't only treat your pet for fleas/ticks; your home and yard must be treated too to effectively eliminate the problem. (05/16/2010)

By PyrateSqueak

Archive: Remedies for Ticks on Dogs

What would work good for ticks on dogs?

By Randy B. from nw AR

RE: Remedies for Ticks on Dogs

My dog just turned 9. She is a German Shorthair. She gets Frontline for her size. I apply every 6 weeks rather than monthly. Never have we had a tick on her. The vet says that is very unusual. She loves a diet of raw veggies from the garden as well. Maybe that is the secret? Besides her Science Diet, she is a push over for anything munchy and crunchy. She is not allowed near the gardens unleashed or I would have nothing for the freezers! (06/12/2010)

By T&T Grandma

RE: Remedies for Ticks on Dogs

I use Comfortis on my dogs for fleas and ticks. Even with that they bring a tick in the house once in a while, but not often. (06/13/2010)

By clynnaltemus

RE: Remedies for Ticks on Dogs

Frontline applied monthly keeps ticks and fleas away. If a tick does get on the dog, it dies before it can transmit any diseases. I buy mine online from 1-800-petmeds, they have the best prices and free shipping. (06/15/2010)

By Marfette

RE: Remedies for Ticks on Dogs

I use Frontline plus on my two Boxer/Bullmastiff mixes we get it from Petco. If you want to get a tick off a dog you take a cotton ball and put some hand soap on it hold it on the tick for about 2-3 minutes and the tick will come right off. If your worried about diseases, dab just a teeny bit of rubbing alcohol on the spot. Hope I helped. (06/22/2010)

By ineedanswers