Using Advantage for Dogs on Cats

Category Cats
With careful measurement many pet owners can safely use Advantage for dogs on their cats. This is a guide about using Advantage for dogs on cats.

Does anyone know if you can use Advantage For Dogs on cats? On the back it is the same ingredients, so if one used a smaller amount of the Dog Advantage on a cat would it be ok?

Mary from Florida

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

I do this all the time. My vet gave me a syringe marked with the amount for my cats. I buy the largest dog kind and give the recommended dosage to my dog and cats. I believe for my cats it is .8 ml, I just use the marked vials he gave me. I've been doing this for a few years and with 4 cats it has saved me lots of money. I can't speak for other flea medications and I know that Advantix is bad for cats but with Advantage it works very well.

Best Answer

I just got back form my vet with my cat. She is a 10.11 pound Main Coon and she said Advantage can be used on both but the dosage is very important. She gave me a plastic syringe and told me to only use 0.8 (ml?) from it and no more. She also said Frontline is different for dogs and cats so do not use the dog formula on cats.

Advantage - Yes

Frontline - No

Best Answer

I hear you sister. You are a kind soul. I'd give anything if more people were like you and if more people would get their pets fixed. We are the earth's keepers after all. I'm another sandwich person as well.

As far as the Advantage and Advantage II for dogs goes- they are safe for cats in the proper dose per cat's weight. I've been doing it for years like some of you.

Now Advantix and Advantage K9 for dogs are NOT to be used on cats because they are both toxic to them.

The other brands of flea meds I know nothing about-but if there's any chance at all that any of them can harm your pet DON'T take that chance.

Best Answer

Advantage yes; advantix no. Almost killed a cat once with advantix, but have had no problems with advantage.

Advantage good.

Advantix bad

Best Answer

The strength is the same. The amount you use is different.

DOGS: 2-10# .4cc

11-20# 1.0cc

21-55# 2.5cc

55-100# 4.0cc

CATS: up to 9# .4cc

Over 9 # .8cc

If you buy the extra large tube for dogs (4.0cc) and put it in a small container you can use a syringe to draw up the amount you need to use according to their weight.

Anonymous

I worked for a vet. Check the ingredients, they're the same. Just use 1 drop per pound for your cat. I purchase the large dog and 1 tube last several months. Just make sure you read the active ingredients to insure they're the same, can be found online with a simple Google search.

You can YES use ADVANTAGE 2 ON CATS ONLY!!!!!!

Dose would be .08 -.09 for average size cats.

Use a non needle syringe.

My sister is a vet and uses this on all her strays she can't help but take in, it's the most cost effective way to treat your cats it you have multiple... Frontline OLD formula used to be the same but since they changed it, it doesn't work on any animal lol.

I can wait 10 days...please send me contact info.for the UK company So i can order. Thanks

ADVANTIX KILLS CATS. Advantix has a formula that a cats system cannot tolerate thus, resulting in the death of the animal.

"Advantage" is fine and cost effective. Measure the dose accurately. Store remainder in the refrigerator out of bright light, preferably in a small amber tinted GLASS vial.