Using Advantage for Dogs on Cats - Categories:

FleasPets

Using Advantage for Dogs on Cats

Does anyone know if you can use Advantage For Dogs on cats? On the back it is the same ingredients, so if one used a smaller amount of the Dog Advantage on a cat would it be ok?

Mary from Florida

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I wouldn't, There's more in those for dogs than cats. Thats what a vet told me.

Your vet lied! I have been doing it for years..suggested by my friend who has been a vet tech for 30 yrs.

That's not true. You can use the advantage for dogs on cats. Just advantage and advantage 2. Not the others. Vet told me you can

Hi, i have a big dog and four cats. im trying to get this right, i can use advantage and advantage 11 on cats or just the regular? Its very confusing.

I do this all the time. My vet gave me a syringe marked with the amount for my cats. I buy the largest dog kind and give the recommended dosage to my dog and cats. I believe for my cats it is .8 ml, I just use the marked vials he gave me. I've been doing this for a few years and with 4 cats it has saved me lots of money. I can't speak for other flea medications and I know that Advantix is bad for cats but with Advantage it works very well.

I do. I get the largest dog Advantage (not Advantix!) and use .4 for 5 lbs. and under, .8 for over 5 lb. cats. I'm a foster/rescue person and that is what we all use.

Please be careful with these potent but supposedly safe medications. For a natural alternative, try diatomaceous earth powder. It's cheap, safe and works great, both externally and internally--and there's no poisons in it!

Tried it. No noticeable change in flea population. Don't waste your time and money.

I use the large Revolution for dogs and separate it for my cats under the VETS orders. Please be careful not to use too much!

I DON'T USE ANY OF THOSE PRODUCTS AS A FLEA AND TICK PREVENTATIVE....WAY TOO COSTLY FOR ME...FOR YEARS I HAVE USED ...EXCEL 8 IN 1 BREWERS YEAST TABS WITH OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS AND GARLIC...I GET THEM THRU THE MAIL FROM "CHERRYBROOK"..THEY HAVE AN ONLINE SITE... THESE TABS ARE ALSO SOLD IN WALMART, BUT IN DOSES FOR SMALL TO MEDIUM DOGS....I GET THE MEGA SIZE TABS FOR MY TWO BIG DOGS AS THE DOSE IS ALOT SMALLER THAT WAY...BECAUSE THE TABLETS ARE MUCH BIGGER...USING THIS PRODUCT MY DOGS HAVE NEVER HAD FLEAS, THEIR COATS ARE SOOOOO SHINY AND THERE'S ALOT LESS SHEDDING!!!...I SWEAR BY THIS STUFF....LOL AND THE PRICE IS JUST RIGHT!! NO VET NEEDED EITHER...THE PICTURE IS OF MY PUG, "TAZOR", HELPING ME IN THE GARDEN LAST SUMMER....LOL

NO! Advantage for canines is toxic to cats. If you have cats in the home with your dogs, and the dogs are the only ones using Advantage, the canine advantage toxic to the cats. And NEVER use Canine Advantage on cats!

If you are a canine-free home, use Feline Advantage for your cats. If you have dogs, use Frontline Plus on your dogs and use Advantage for cats on your cats.

Advantage is not toxic for cats. Advantix for dog is toxic for cats. Very. But advantage is not.

Advantage for dogs is perfectly safe for cats, you just need to know the correct dose.

Actually, you're wrong. Compare the two products. You'll see the active ingredients and their proportions are exactly the same between the two products.

You may be confusing "Advantage" with "K-9 Advantix" or "Advantage Multi for Dogs." These two ARE toxic to cats. But, Advantage or Advantage II both use the same formula for cats and dogs.

My daughter, the veterinarian, says so. And with four years of vet school (graduating cum laude) and six years of small animal vet work in both private practice and shelter work, she should know.

Advantage is the same ingredients for cats and dogs: Imidacloprid. As long as you administer the right dosage, there should be no reason canine Advantage should harm your felines.

However, you should never, ever, ever apply canine Advantix, Frontline or Revolution on your feline as they have separate canine-only chemicals in them.

I know these are old posts but others as I did may see this post.

You can use canine Advantage on cats, my vet gave me some of it.

You can't use ADVANTIX for dogs, which is by the same company, but has added ingredients which are toxic to cats.

The ingredients for Advantage are exactly the same, just that dogs are usually larger than cats so there is more in a tube. You have to measure it out for cats:

.4 ml for cats 9 lbs and under and .8 ml for cats over 9 lbs.

Just make sure it is Advantage, not others.

I would not do it. It is made for cats and dogs for a reason. There are some places it pays to be thrifty but where health is concerned why take chances. My personal opinion is this; If a person can't afford to feed and take care of pets properly then they should not have them.

Some people got their pets when they could afford them. And then someone got cancer and couldn't work. Stop judging.

When it's the exact same product you are just wasting tons of money using the feline version, talk to your vet and they will tell you the correct dosage to use.

I just got back form my vet with my cat. She is a 10.11 pound Main Coon and she said Advantage can be used on both but the dosage is very important. She gave me a plastic syringe and told me to only use 0.8 (ml?) from it and no more. She also said Frontline is different for dogs and cats so do not use the dog formula on cats.

Advantage - Yes

Frontline - No

I have used Dog Advantage on my cats for years. It's the same ingredients just the dosage is different. My vet suggested that I use this method (I have 6 cats) it is more cost effective. To the person who feeds garlic to their dog...look it up, that is TOXIC.

People are confused about Advantage. You use AdvantageII, not Advantix or other dog products. I dont know what the "other ingredients" are in dog Advantage II, but if they are the same as the cat formulation it should work on a cat. It worked on my cat. I used .8 ml, same as .8 cc.

Advantage is fine just use the correct amount! And of course the packet for large dogs have more in it because of their size! That's why we are buying the dog one for the same price & getting several doses out of them for cats! For those of us whom try to rescue these loving & innocent animals, even though we can't really afford too! This is because stupid people do not spay or neuter their pets & let them run free!

I only work part time & don't make big $ but have somehow with my roommate's help trapped three strays living on our street, got them fixed, got their shots & chipped! But not before one brought us 5 kittens! The kittens were not well but now they are healthy & loving! The two boys are now fixed and have their shots too!

We have released two of the strays that did not take to being inside, but the one female is very loving & will adapt to a loving home when we find one for her! Sorry to rant but this was for the person who said if ya can't afford a pet & all their needs you shouldn't have one! I rather eat sandwiches all the time rather than steak, if it means I can make a difference for these beautiful creatures!

Thank you I to help out with these beautiful souls only 2 of the 5 are mine all fixed and use advantage for dogs. It is h@rd to afford on disability but worth it. And thank you for posting and helping . peace, love & light...

Exactly well said. And tell me since I don't have money. What do u propose I do with my animals? I guess put them in a shelter? Give me a break, come down to earth lady. Lifes not perfect. But my animals are loved, fed, roof over their head. Thats all that matters. You do the best u can with your pets. Money or not

This website has all the info you need, including which products to use or not, and dosages for splitting up the dog formula for cats. http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/advantage.html

I just bought the over 55lb dod advantage 2 under recommendation from a vet. I split one between my puppy and my border collie and another between my 13 cats. The 4 dose box ($54.99) will do all 15 critters twice.

How often should I apply advantageII on my cats

well just wanted to say thankyou all of your for helping me find the right flea stuff, ( costco was to exp and every place else on line , until i found a place called chewy.com Advantage for cats a little bit cheaper than the ex large dog , and so far its doing the job on my 4ct kitties, ck it out if you like and join you will save even more , I nooo the last msg on here was 2014 just wanted to thankyou all have a great 2016

I have used this on my cats for years...it is through the vet and they gave me the syringes and the weight chart for proper dosing for cats...this is the very same formula as the cats except more cost effective. Of course some will not tell you as they make more money on selling the other and you get less...

Pets FleasFebruary 14, 2008
orange tabby resting its head on a sleeping dog
Raising Cats and Dogs Together
Freezing Hot Dogs
Freezing Hot Dogs
Cat Food
Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?
canning beef
Canning Beef
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 19, 2016 at 6:28:12 PM on 10.0.0.90 in 10 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.