Ants In Yard and Driveway

We get ants along the driveway all summer long. Any ideas how to kill them?

By Brenda from Charlotte, NC

I use diatomaceous earth. You have to keep applying it at regular intervals, but since it is just ground up shells of diatoms, tiny sea creatures, it doesn't poison anything like children or pets or songbirds and is not harmful to the environment. The brand I have is Insectagone Ant Killer. It is NOT a poison.

April 22, 2010 Flag

My yard is crawling with ants. Does anyone have a remedy? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

By kostalota from Kamloops, B.C.

Ants In Yard and Driveway

I read on the internet that you can add 20 mule team Borax (buy at Walmart in the laundry aisle) to sugar in a 50/50 ratio and the ants will take the borax back to their nests and it can kill the queen. It dehydrates the ants. I'd think twice if I had pets though. You should cover the sugar/borax up with something so animals can't get to it and only tiny ants can eat it! For example, a bucket with holes drilled into the sides for the ants to crawl through with a large, heavy cement block on top so a dog or cat couldn't turn the bucket over. Read the URL below for more Borax/Ants ideas and info:

Read this post for more detailed info:

* Apparently the ants prefer the Borax/Sugar mixture if you add several drops of water to it. They say (on the URL above) that water is the key (just a few drops added to the 50/50 pile). (06/09/2009)

By Cyinda

Ants In Yard and Driveway

We had the same problem until my husband started putting out 7 dust around the house. This stuff really works! We are absolutely free from ants now. (06/10/2009)

By busdrivr

Ants In Yard and Driveway

I have used bleach to kill them and also boiling water. (06/10/2009)

By Coll3

Ants In Yard and Driveway

Terro works but it takes a few days so you have to have patience and keep on feeding it to them, they are attracted to the scent. Put a couple of drops on the small squares of paper and watch them come to it. They take it back to the nest. Follow the ants to see where they are going, you might find the nest. You can find Terro at the grocery store, an orange and white box. It's about $2.00. I've been fighting them for 2 weeks now but they are thinning out.

Check all around the foundation of your house, they are looking for food so they may have a line running up something into a crack in the foundation. They're also carrying eggs (if you see one with a white dot in its mouth).
Remove all vegetation, climbing vines, or anything that's leaning up against the house they can climb on. Stop up any holes or cracks you find. They also like gutters, siding, anywhere they can get into. I also bought some Black Flag spray and killed a lot of them, the more you kill the better. Good luck! (06/10/2009)

By SewnVa

June 9, 2009 Flag

I am absolutely overrun with ants in my yard and driveway. I have tried commercial pesticides. I think they like it. Anyone have any ideas? They are ruining my yard. (None in the house, thank goodness.)

C.J. Cox

Ants In Yard and Driveway

Boric Acid and also chalk will get rid of ants, they won't cross a line of either one. (04/27/2005)

By MrsMoted2

Ants In Yard and Driveway

I've had luck sprinkling a line of baking soda around the house and on the ant hills. (04/27/2005)

By Gannon

Ants In Yard and Driveway

Our co-operative extension service said to pour boiling water in the ant hills, that should take care of them. (04/28/2005)

By Marsha

Ants In Yard and Driveway

What I did when they were in my yard, was I just used straight Dawn dish soap. The ants don't like it a bit and, yes I did kill my lawn, but it did come back too. (04/28/2005)

By Joyce

Ants In Yard and Driveway

I don't know where you live but here in Texas (and other parts of the south) we get a lot of fire ants. We have tried many things, but the best thing that we have found is Sweet and Low. That's right, the artificial sweetener. We just sprinkle a pack or two (or more, depending on the size of the mound) and usually several hours later all the ants are gone. They take it back to the nest and it kills all the ants. The person that told us about this said that Splenda and Equal also work, but we have had good luck with Sweet and Low, so I guess we'll continue using it. Also, it doesn't seem to kill the grass. Good Luck.

By Margaret

Ants In Yard and Driveway

I got rid of my ant problem by watching where they entered and placing used coffee grounds around the entrance. They disappeared. (04/29/2005)

By Ebony49

Ants In Yard and Driveway

I have not tried this yet, but I read it on this forum a few weeks back: pour uncooked grits over the ant hills. I don't know why the magic of this works, but I like the idea of no pesticides. Good luck. (04/29/2005)

By Melissa W.

Ants In Yard and Driveway

Mix borax and sugar. I had them last year crawling up my drain pipe to the humming bird feeder. This year no ants. I have used this mix for many years and it works. (07/29/2007)

By Sue

Ants In Yard and Driveway

Cedar chips work well. If you spread a line cedar chips about 8 inches wide around wherever you do not want the ants or other bugs, they will not cross the line. Make sure to freshen the cedar line every now and then.

are excellente, also.

Forget ant traps. There are many types of ants and ants look for sweet things or protein depending on the time of year. I put traps in the middle of a ant line. The ants just ignored them. I even put sugar water in the traps on top of the protein/sweet poison. They still ignored them. I think the trick is to offer them something better then what they are marching to. Can't beat Boric Acid and white or brown sugar or honey and water with Sweat and Low.

Good luck. (03/28/2008)

By Eric

Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsApril 22, 2010
Black Ant
Natural Ant Deterrents
Several small ants inside a sugar bowl
Getting Rid of Small Black Ants
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants