Saving Elephant Ears Bulbs

I dig up my elephant ear tubers each fall. Now I read about those that have a problem with their remaining tubers in the ground keep coming back each spring. Why dig them up each fall if they survive the winters in the ground?

By Merrill

I *think* it depends on your zone. I have one near a picture window that comes back every year, too (I'm in 7a). I just looked at a hardiness zone map, and your zone gets quite a bit colder than mine (-15 to -20 vs 5 to 0). If you want to give it a try, I'd suggest leaving only a couple in the ground for the first year. So you don't lose all of them if it's just too cold. Best of luck!

I agree with Mrs Story. Try leaving a couple in the ground but cover them good with lots of mulch of some kind. I also live in 7a/b and leave mine in the ground. I just cut them back (that's my job for tomorrow) and cover them up with leaves. Every year they come back bigger and better. For that matter, from one bulb only that I planted 16 yrs ago, I have dug it up and split it 5 times making 8 new plants. 2 of which I'll have to split again tomorrow.

Elephant Ears Leaf
Saving Elephant Ears Bulbs
Home and Garden Gardening BulbsNovember 13, 2009
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
An elephant ear being taken out of hot oil.
Elephant Ears Recipes
Elephant Ears Plant
Getting Rid of Elephant Ears
Elephant Ear Plant
Wintering an Elephant Ear Plant
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 15, 2017 at 1:35:56 AM on 10.0.0.78 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.