Scrapbooking - Secrets and Pitfalls

Hi,
I hear so much about scrapbooking. Although it sounds like fun, time and money are always a balancing act. There are lots of supplies at the Dollar Stores. Like all things, there are great tips and suggestions that put the special "zing" into the presentation. Before I start cutting up pictures, what are the pitfalls? What are the "secrets"? Sandy

Sandy

There are differing schools of thought on cutting or not cutting pictures - but as far as I can tell the "lifespan" of a cut photo is not significantly less compared to our lifespan...so do what you like.

My advice is not to buy cheap scissors however - they tend to tear rather than cut your pictures, and cause lots of frustration. Invest in one good pair - I like the deckel edge because it is so versatile - and then go from there. Find a craft store with coupons and get your scissors there - you will be much happier.

Also get good adhesive - there is nothing more frustrating than the pages falling apart after you spend so much time on them.

beyond that - you are only limited by your imagination and your materials - don't get too caught up in the design - I find too much "glitz" takes away from the photos, which are always my main focus. have fun!!!

Regina

Make sure all your papers and stickers, basically ANYTHING that will be touching photos is ACID FREE!

As far as scissors, fiskars are great and Walmart sells them $1.99 a pair.

Journaling is important to me. I've heard other plp say this is important to them as well. Record who's, what's where's and when's.

I also like to keep mine in chronological order.

Check www.google.com and enter free scrapbooking tips. You'll find LOADS of info there. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP IT FUN TO HAVE FUN!!

If you have a Michael's Arts & Crafts store in your area they have a 40% coupon off in the Sunday paper lots of weeks, so it's well worth waiting on it to get the more expensive items.

I bought a set of templates that you cut different shapes and sizes with and don't like them, so just buy one to try instead of a whole set.

If you have an Archiver's store near you, take advantage of their free classes! You create real scrapbook pages (using your photos), cards, tags, etc. in class and they provide all the supplies. Also, they have a workshop you can use for free. They also let you use their die cut machines, paper punches and decorative scissors free as long as you buy your papers there. Papers cost 25 cent for cardstock to $1 or so for the fancy vellums. Still, it's quite a bargain considering the cost of the equipment you use for free!!

When I go to thrift shops I look for books of quotes or any of those little"gifty" books . They are fifity cents and provide many great cuts outs for my scrapbooking pages.

Hello, I am a scrapbook designer and store owner in south Florida. I do believe in preserving your memories and I am aware that it can be a costly and time consuming job. However, there are many things you can do to avoid overspending at your local scrapbook store. I recommend to get good quality cutters and adhesives. The next thing is to organize your photos -make little piles and categorize the by themes. Grab one pile and go shopping with it. At the scrapbook store you may be overwhelmed with papers and embellishments. If you have your pictures half the battle is won. You buy exactly what you need. You don't second guess at cardstock colors or embellishments. Remember less is more in this craft.

When you get to working at home you can always go back for any extra embellishments to fill in if needed. But by doing this you will not overspend in materials that later take up space at home. Good luck and remember that this is what we leave behind "cherish those memories".

The best thing i like to do is go with my friends to crop nights they are free or sometime $5 and you just scrap and share your stuff like cutters many people have them and we all just share our stuff and ideas and I find that you can even swap scraps also look in the clearance section of you scrapbook store as well as dollar stores but sometimes you get what you pay for there i bought adhesive and it is not as good as the scrapbook stuff Good luck and have fun

The most important tip I can give after over making 1500 scrapbook pages...is be a scrapbook maker, NOT a collector of scrapbook materials! Use what you have and buy only what you need OR you will end up with a house full of supplies and few if any scrapbook pages! So this is a tip and a pitfall!

Crafts Paper ScrapbookingFebruary 1, 2005
Orange kitten photos scrapbooked on a page
Scrapbooking Craft Ideas
Disneyland and Legoland Brochures and Scrapbook Items
Vacation Scrapbooking Tips and Tricks
Various scrapbook supplies.
Scrapbooking Recipes
Scrapbooking papers, embellishments, and scissors.
Saving Money on Scrapbooking
🎉
🎄