Homemade Corned Beef

Did you know that you can make your own corned beef? There's still time to make this before St. Patrick's Day and its easy! All you have to do is start with a fresh brisket about 3 to 6 days before you plan to make your meal, The best part about making it yourself is that there are no preservatives :-)

• 1 (7 - 9 lb.) fresh beef brisket
  • 10 cups water
  • 1 1/2 cups kosher salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. dry mustard
  • 3 Tbsp. pickling spices
  • 1 Tbsp. minced garlic

Combine water, salt, sugar, mustard, spices and garlic in an 8 quart stainless steel (because it's nonreactive) stock pot, bring to a boil over high heat, remove from heat and set aside to cool.

When liquids have cooled, trim the corned beef of excess fat and put the excess fat into the liquid. Add more cold water to cover the beef if needed. Cover the pan and refrigerate for 3 to 6 days in the refrigerator, turning every twelve hours.

When ready to cook the beef, remove it from the brine and rinse well with cold water. Place back in the washed pot, add any seasonings that came with the brisket, cover with cold water and bring to a boil.

Once at a boil skim off any scum that develops on the surface, reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer until tender, about 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

I did not know that you could make your own corned beef! That is good news. I will try soon. Thanks

In my haste, I did not read recipe closely. When directions to say add the seasonings that came with the beef, does that mean that the butcher shop/grocery store encloses a seasoning packet when you purchase it? Thank you

Hi Indianone :-) That was my error because I was working on typing these instructions out when I was tired. I had two older recipes set out side by side. One was my grama's brining recipe and the other was my mom's cooking it recipe. Disregard the spice packet because that was from my mom's recipe that was for an already brined store bought brisket - LOL!

The recipe says to put the excess fat in the brining liquid but nothing about putting in the trimmed brisket. Is this an error? If not, why do you brine the fat and what do you do with it afterwards?

Homemade Corned Beef
Homemade Corned Beef Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Meats BeefMarch 12, 2011
Corned Beef Salad
Corned Beef Salad Recipes
Platter of corned beef and cabbage.
Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipes
Canned Corned Beef
Recipes Using Canned Corned Beef
Stuffed Green Peppers With Corn Bread
Recipes Using Leftover Corned Beef