Mobile Home Remodeling

My husband and I recently bought a 1994 mobile home that is very good shape, but needs updating. I have vinyl wall paper on the walls and need to know what the best way is to remove it. Also is it a good idea to lay laminate flooring in a mobile home? I am completely remodeling this place any advice is appreciated.

By HMS24FAN4LIFE from Hornbeck, LA

I ran into the same problem. No need to remove it. Just paint over it. It will be alot faster and cheaper.

You can remodel a mobile home the same way you would remodel a stick-built house, including using laminate flooring. Just follow the manufacturers instructions. The vinyl on your walls might not be wallpaper, though, it might be part of the wall panels that were installed at the factory. I agree with barrsbits, just paint over it. Trying to remove it might cause permanent damage to your walls.

I used to work for an energy assistance program. Before you worry about aesthetics, check the belly board under the flooring. It's a band of supports for the insulation and it and the skirting is very important in keeping your home warm this winter. Yes, painting, esp' with a textured effect, would be much easier. You can get better door for a little more sound proofing, and if not, you can get kick plates that can be installed lower to cover that silly 1" gap under the door!

Make sure all mold is at bay, insulate when and where you can, and then you can have some fun.

The dollar tree sells peel and stick tiles, painting supplies, drop cloths and more.

You can provide almost as much warmth with throw rugs as you can carpeting, for so much less money and no fumes from carpets and glues. You don't often find good wooden supports along the molding where the wall and floor meet, so keep this idea in mind.

If you want to replace your cove molding or mop boards as it is sometimes called, either paint the existing with Rustoleum or take off the old, and glue the new on between where you can tack it on with smaller nails.

Good luck with everything, and when it's all done, show it off to us!

My husband remodeled our kitchen and one thing to remember is there is always movement in a mobile home. Unfortunately we chose laminated tiles for our kitchen and soon afterwards they started showing gaps in between the tiles.

Laminate flooring is not good for mobile homes, due to the stability issue. And yes, paint over the paper, or cover it with a diff paper that you like. Mobile homes are very inexpensive to redo inside, and can be done often. For our floors, we either use carpet, the square tiles that peel and stick (but we do put glue down under them), or vinyl flooring. I found a very nice vinyl that looks like wooden planks, and works just as well.

I'm in the middle of remodling my double wide mobile home. I removed the slats that cover the vinyl covered walls, and spackled the cracks. Use mesh tape to help, if you don't know how to spackle well. Use a wet sponge to help get rid of excess spackling, to save time sanding. Before you paint, you must prime first. My dining room had paneling, and after priming, I used Paper Illusion, bought at Lowe's. Beautiful effect, and quite easy to do.

I changed the hardware on kitchen cabinets and drawers, for an updated look.

Hope this helps!

Bobbie

I'm living in my third "mobile" home now. Before we lived in a single wide, that we remodeled the kitchen. Put in new cabinets, new vinyl on floor,new sink,etc. What we've learned on all remodeling is: Always expect the unexpected, and always plan for it to cost more than originally planned. (Like we didn't realize our window air conditioner was leaking down our wall and rotted the floor and sheetrock.) Some mobile homes are made very well, and it's much like a house what you have to work with, and then there are some...well, let's just say that sometimes you have to adjust things a bit. And upkeep! You work hard on it, do the upkeep. And don't use the cheapest or the most expensive. Pay for as you go! What I hate most about mobile homes are the window sills-or lack of sills. My husband has redone my kitchen window in 2 mobile homes with oak trim/molding and a wider sill,even though it's a tiny window! Hopefully we'll be able to afford to do some more windowsills like that. Best of luck, and hope you'll post some before/after pictures. I don't know why HGTV or DIY network hasn't got a show on renovating mobile homes!

Back in Feb I did a lot of remodeling in my mobile home. It took my husband I a month to do but it looks great! We removed the chair rail in the living room and by doing so we had to replace the battens that were covering the seams which we did with lattice pieces. We also put cap pieces on any outside corners, cove pieces for the inner corners. We ripped up the carpet in 3 areas, then had to remove the staples and nails in the sub floor then sanded the exposed sub floor. We laid grout-able vinyl tile diagonally in the kitchen, living room, hall way and guest bathroom. Then we did the grout. We did baseboards in the living room, kitchen, hall way and guest bathroom. We changed all of the door knobs on the main doors then we changed all of the hardware for the cabinets. We painted 5 areas of the house including the doors and window sill/frames. It feels like we expanded the living space upwards and outwards. I'm so pleased with it.

Is this the first time you have lived in a mobile home? If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

I need to say a couple of things. My late husband had MS and the shag carpet that came in our manufactured home in the 1980's no longer worked. Home depot installed commercial carpeting! It was wonderful! So easy to take care of and we put it in four rooms. No problems.

The other thing is when we rented it out for a couple of years due to my job moving the daughter of the renters put two or three fist size holes in the bedroom wall. I was really upset. But a carpenter came, secured mesh in the wall with putty and then did spackle and I painted over it. Could not tell anything was wrong!

This is a before picture.

This is after (before pic below) we spent under 1000 and the reason the price was as high as it was is because we bought a new stove for 400.00 We did peel and stick tiles which have still been great (remodel a little over a year ago) and used things we already had. My husband and I did all the work ourselves and we think it turned out pretty good. Since this picture we have done a little more work, such as putting the microwave above the stove and adding knive bar, etc.

Vinegar water spray on it will yTake that off the walls

November 4, 2011 Flag

I have so much to do to my mobile I don't know where to start. The walls need repair and the roof leaks even though I had it sealed. I am a single parent and I don't know where to start or how to do much of the repair. I can't afford to pay someone else to do it. Any suggestions?

By K from Wilmington, OH

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Unless you really know what you are doing, you might be better off hiring somebody to do it. Otherwise you are wasting your time and money. Do you know anybody that would know what they were doing, that you could do some bartering with for repairs? If you had the roof sealed recently, and it still leaks there is a possibility that some areas weren't completely sealed. As far as what to do with the walls, it would depend on the type of damage and if it is on the inside or outside walls.

The first thing to do is get that roof sorted. Then you can move on to repairing the walls, which are probably in pretty bad shape from the roof leaking-how long was the roof leaking, was it months, or years?

You write that you just had the roof sealed, which says to me you had someone do it for you-was it a contractor? If yes, you can probably get him/her back to do the job right and get that roof completely sealed. If it was a friend or relative, see if you can get them to help you put on another more complete coat of sealant (Kool Seal is a great product but must be applied properly).

I've done three renos on single-wide trailers, it's fun after you know more about what you are doing. As a nice bonus, there are some really good reno sites that can help you with advice. The following link is one that helped me learn a lot about repairing and renovating trailers and mobile homes:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/

Good luck, I hope your project turns out well.

My girlfriend has a trailer, and it had to be regularly caulked, like a tin can! She did it herself, so it can be done diy. I saw that spray caulk on TV where they use a screen door for the bottom of a boat & thought that that would be great for mobile home users, easy to apply - but a bit pricey. All the seams should be sealed. And seal around gutters What's wrong with the walls?

Hi k. Been there done that. It is doable as a woman too. I did it. The first thing is correct the roof problem. It is a black tar comes in gal cans and 5 gal. I buckets start with the gal. Can ..It is cheap and can be applied even in the rain. Unless you have big holes in your roof it is fairly simple. Apply a coat of wet or dry tar. Make sure not roofing tar...Wet or dry which means you can apply it in the water. I applied it in a hurricane my kid would tell me when the water stopped and i would go to the next one. Usually older trailers leak at the seams whether you can see it or not. If it is rusty use a rust preventive like ospho, or a like product it sprays on and by the next day will turn grey then apply the wet or dry over it. This is a good start.

Find a mobile home place or someone who actually works on mobile homes is a must and talk to them and if you can do the work yourself. Then do so as I did but if not check out his work by looking at some of it. It is crucial that he know how to work on a mobile home or he won't do it correctly. If the windows leak to fix properly you would have to take out the whole window and replace the caulking behind the frame (a house trailer moves and caulk of any kind won't do it) but the wet or dry doesn't harden completely and will make it water tight and it does now come in a caulking gun. Wet or dry and is a black tar it is also the same thing as you used on roof.

Space and time doesn't allow me to tell you all you truly need to know but if you do try to do some or all of this email me and I will try to make it easier. I fixed house trailers for 8 years after i fixed mine. Not as hard as men made it out to be and I just went one thing at a time. Talked to people and picked their brain and raised my 2 children in that home too. It is worth a shot but most repair people only rip you off. Check with your local defac office and see what government programs they have in your county to help you. You pay nothing just remember the wet or dry and if they don't use it it won't stop the water. I did my camper in the rain in Minnesota in l988. Hope this helps some and a whole lot of prayer.

June 8, 2011 Flag

My husband and I just bought an older mobile home and now we're in the process of completely remodeling it. We need ideas. Maybe someone has done the same and has before and after pictures, and websites, or anything you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By jnjohnson225 from Somewhere, LA

Just Google "remodeling a mobile home" and you will find lots of links to ideas.

My husband and I have enclosed his 20-year-old doublewide with vinyl siding, converted the carport to a garage, laid hardwood floors, completely replaced the kitchen and bathroom cabinets, laid tile floor in laundry room and painted two rooms. The front porch has a new ceramic tile floor and set of concrete steps; a deck with ceramic tile floor, roof and frame for screening has been added to the back of the house. With my son-in-law's help the fence across the back of the property has been replaced. We are currently working to complete painting the living room.

Many of the materials and supplies came from Habitat Restore or craigslist. yourtube.com and doityourself.com are both good resources for how to make modifications.

Some people say never to paint interior walls of a mobile home since the crevice between pieces of drywall is covered by a strip. Just carefully remove the strips and paint them. After the walls have been painted reattach the strips. It helps to number each strip so you know where it goes.

You can also tape the gaps and paint them.

Remodeled Mobile Home
Remodeling A Mobile Home
Home and Garden Home Improvement RemodelingJuly 12, 2009
Mobile Homes in Snow
Winterizing Your Mobile Home
mobile homes
Storage Solutions for a Mobile Home
Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile
Keeping Animals From Going Under a Mobile Home
🎉
🎄